Estimate wording for open-ended project

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by conepile, Oct 23, 2003.

1. conepile

conepile LawnSite Member

My estimates are normally the complete project price, and I allow for unforseen surprises, but I have a unique situation (at least it is unique for me). There are too many unknowns in a retaining wall removal and replacement, such as what was buried, boulders, as well as addition of boulders at the end. For example, while I'm looking at a minimum of 5 tons of boulders ans a minimum, I really think it will take more, but their budget has a ceiling, for now.

My point is that while the homeowner and I both know this project is open-ended. I want to ensure I cover myself adequately in the quote. Any suggestions?

2. AGLA

AGLA LawnSite Bronze Member

Quantitatively describe exactly what you are giving a price for. List a few of the possible things that you may run into that will be charged extra for. Most importantly, at the end of every contract you should have a statement that says something to the effect of "any work or materials not specifically described in this contract are an extra and will be billed as an extra".

You're covered, the customer knows what is in the price and what is not, and there is documentation that both parties can look at to clear up any misunderstandings.