Estimate

Discussion in 'Hardscaping' started by NewHorizon's Land, Feb 13, 2007.

1. NewHorizon's Land

NewHorizon's Land LawnSite Senior Member

I am starting to install patios and walkways in my area. I am doing one now charging by the hour. Lets say that I charge $45 an hour ($25 for me and $20 for my helper). We install the ICPI standard of at least 4" of base the 1" setting sand, blah blah blah. How long do you think it would take two guys fairly new at hardscaping to completely install a straight walkway 5' by 15' including hand excavation. (75'sq so I will need 1.5 tons of stone, no more than 1/2 ton of setting sand, and about 2 bags of the joint sand.) The pattern is Random. Access is easy and will not remove any soil from the site. If you need more info let me know. Thanks

2. tthomass

tthomass LawnSite Gold Member
    from N. VA

3 days slow.......2 if you catch on...........1 if you're good

3. NewHorizon's Land

Ok thanks and I am assuming your talking 8 hour days?

4. tthomass

from N. VA

yup...........honestly, if you have common sense and decent help...........2 days

Don't forget to factor your travel and gathering of material.......that can sometimes take almost as long as the constuction.

I'm assuming the hourly wage is just labor, no material included? I would not price the job hourly, to the customer, if i were you.

Example: $10ft2 = $750 + whatever other factors say $1,000.

So if its 2 days, 16 hrs you're at $720 + material......not bad but if you're good and do it one day you losing money for being too fast. I would just figure a price to give them. Figure all of your expenses............gas, tax EVERYTHING........the numbers don't lie. Just know your cost.

Also, if you're looking for experience to get things going be careful not to price yourself out of a straight forward job that will give you the basics you need.

5. NewHorizon's Land

Thanks. So your example of $10ft2 is for labor? How fast can two guys with one tamp compact that base? I am thinking 3-4 hours? Is that a good estimate? I am not trying to lowball or even highball. I need the experience but I dont want to pay the customer in the end.

6. tthomass

from N. VA

Once material is at hand you should be able to do the base in an hour max......leveling it just right etc. I could do it in 15 min really.

Dump it in with a wheel barrow and spread smoothly with a rake. Compact ever 2". Check your grade and get it just right in prep of you sand bed.

Just make sure you rake it out good. The plate tamper will compact but it does more of a smoothing out action vs filling in holes........nothing to be worried about, you'll see.

7. tthomass

from N. VA

You're using a vibratory plate tamper correct? About $70 to rent if you haven't looked into it.

8. cedarcroft

cedarcroft LawnSite Senior Member

sounds like he was talking about hand tamping. if thats the case, I would skip that idea and rent the plate compactor. you can install a much better base in much less time and actually still have arms left to use in setting the pavers, which is nice.

9. mrusk

mrusk LawnSite Gold Member

Never do any paver base with a hand tamper.

Second, you should be charging atleast 45 an hour just for your self. Then atleast 45 an hour for your helper.

10. tthomass

from N. VA

If this helps.........I wouldn't do the job for less than $1500