1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by bgmoney7, May 26, 2004.

1. bgmoney7

bgmoney7 LawnSite Member

I just recently started in the biz and would like any advice anyone has on bidding jobs. I have a couple of projects in mind but I have no idea what I should bid for the job. I have a couple of gas stations that I would like to bid. They have very little grass and a few hedges that would need to be trimmed. There is also a bank that I would like to bid. The bank has 32 branches most have very little cutting mostly just edging and weed eating there is also so hedges to trim. Any help that you can give is appreciated. Thanks
  2. twins_lawn_care

twins_lawn_care LawnSite Senior Member

If you are going to be bidding on a yearly contract for these properties, I would first determine how many weeks you will be servicing them. Then, lay out all of the services to be performed (mowing, hedges, aerating, fertilizing, etc) then estimate the time it will take for all of the services. From that, you can get a general idea of the amount of time spent on the job, and you can multiply this by your operating expense. (Whether it be $30 per hour, or $60 per hour)
    this should give you a ballpark to work with, and if you feel it is too high/low, you can adjust accordingly taking into account items such as drive time, ease of work, your schedule (whether you need to fill it up or not (ie. how bad do you need this work?)

Hope this helps some. basically, don't undercharge just to get the work, charge for what you will be doing, and do a good job at it. Success is that simple.
  3. Fantasy Lawns

Fantasy Lawns LawnSite Bronze Member

I'd say Twins hit that one pretty good ... use YOUR cost to charge n as you grow n cost increase than adjust … with the equipment you have at this time figure your hours as time n money allows upgrade to more productive equipment which may cost more but will save you time

In FL for St. Aug under irrigation figure on 42-40 visits .... most shrubs need 6-4 trims n many need a "hard trim" in spring ….. irrigation checks n trash pick up .... weeding all need consideration as most banks & gas stations get a lot of trash …

Maintanence is a pain due to traffic flow , people walking etc …. Which increases your own liability ….. your gonna find on such accounts they insist on WC which for a solo is not practical

Start with the resi’s n a few smaller commercial like may a local strip mall or small restaurant …. Grow with word of mouth …. Be dependable n consistent n in few years you will be busy ….. Good Luck this Summer
  4. EastProLawn

EastProLawn LawnSite Bronze Member

I agree with Twins on this one. Get all the variables together and then it's easy to put a estimate on paper.