estimated cost to replace vs. rebuild a tranny in...

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by oOTurfmanoO, Jan 1, 2009.

1. oOTurfmanoO

oOTurfmanoO LawnSite Member

a 1993 F250. I think the tranny is on it"s way out but am not 100% sure. It is our only truck with a plow on it so I need to be careful tying it up for service and potential repair.

We own the truck, 125k on it, solid except for the potential tranny issue.
    7k for the truck 3 yrs ago with 64k on it!

Since then, it's been pushing snow or pulling a mowing trailer...

2. Gravel Rat

Gravel Rat LawnSite Fanatic

Need more info on the truck ?

Is it a diesel ?

If its a E4OD then you have some choices your costs for a rebuild can range in price from a basic transmission to a built transmission.

Id say the cheapest will be 3500 dollars it maybe more like 4000-5000 dollars.

3. oOTurfmanoO

Gravel,

it' a gasser with the 351.
    I'm not sue what E4OD is!

4. Gravel Rat

If the truck has a OD transmission then its the E4OD it can be expensive to rebuild. If its a 351 gasser then you could get away with a basic rebuilt. If you had a 7.3 IDI diesel you can get a built E4OD with heavier clutch packs.

If you google rebuilt E4OD you will probably find some prices.

The most expensive part is the labour doing the removal and install. I assume the truck is a 4x4 so its a little more work getting the sucker out.

5. oOTurfmanoO

yep has overdrive, I think that's where the problem is stemming from. tourque converter or something. horrible rumble coming from it at times, shift down to 2nd then back up to drive and it's golden. this is how thetruck is being driven, constantly shifting it around.

6. Gravel Rat

I would take the truck to a transmission shop or a good mechanic that knows the E4OD. They are electronically controlled so it could be the computer that isn't working right.

7. oOTurfmanoO

certainly appreciate the help and info!

8. TXNSLighting

TXNSLighting LawnSite Fanatic
    from DFW, TX

Doesnt cost that much in america. You should be able to get that rebuilt for $2500 or less.

9. oOTurfmanoO

I'm hoping it's something simple like fluid and filter

10. jefftb

jefftb LawnSite Senior Member

Yeah, a reman E40D should be in the $2000-2500 range. Now if you were really serious about keeping the truck and did not mind the expense, get a BTS (Brain's Truck Shop) E40D/4R100 transmission. The tranny most likely would outlast the engine.