Estimates as a business expense?

Discussion in 'Business Operations' started by General Landscaping, Oct 3, 2006.

1. General Landscaping

General Landscaping LawnSite Senior Member

When doing estimates, is there a way to "write off' the time/expense from your income?

In a larger company that has an estimator; I'm sure that employee's wages, vehicle, etc are taken off the income total. Why not a solo operator?

Maybe "charge" for estimates and write off as uncollected debts?
    Keep a log of time used doing dead-end estimates and put it into advertising costs?

Anybody got a system that is legal and works?

2. YardPro

YardPro LawnSite Gold Member

it is overhead.. which IS deductable.

3. Splicer

Splicer LawnSite Senior Member

Thats about the size of it...ANY expense you shell out in order to run your business IS tax deductable...Just has to be business related...

4. MarkintheGarden

MarkintheGarden LawnSite Bronze Member

When you say it is deductable overhead, are you saying you can file it as a business expense on my schedule C?

For example if I spend 200 hours preparing estimates and meeting with prospective customers, I could claim that as a cost? Could I just claim that my time is worth x amount of dollars and multiply that by 200?

To be sure if I paid someone else to do it their pay would be a deduction

5. Billz

Billz LawnSite Member

yep, but then that money would have to be claimed as income to you, and actually paid...I believe.

6. YardPro

YardPro LawnSite Gold Member

yes, it is a business expense.

from the sound of what you have said, i assume you are paid a salary from your business. You cannot deduct YOUR time seperately from doing estimates if your salary is accounted for in the general overhead somewhere.
    That is double dipping.

7. Splicer

Splicer LawnSite Senior Member

NO double dipping!!!:nono:

At least thats what my wife tells me...:laugh: