Estimates by the Hour

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by eazy, Mar 16, 2004.

1. eazy

eazy LawnSite Member
    from Texas

How does $64.00 an hour sound for the Texas area and all the other areas? Fill free to give you honest thoughts:confused:

Thanks for your time,
    eazy

2. grassperson

grassperson LawnSite Member

eazy-

is that $64 per man, per crew, 2 men, etc..???

3. eazy

eazy LawnSite Member
    from Texas

Mostly a solo operation, but maybe will have one person helping me when he is available.

4. KL Squared

KL Squared LawnSite Member

I charge $35.00 per hour for a one man crew. I will double that if I have my second crew working with me and using all of his equipment. If I have myself and a laborer workingthen I think that the $64.00 per hour is a fair price.

5. eazy

eazy LawnSite Member
    from Texas

Ok, What happens if I estimate a Job for 5 hours and I have a good day and do it in 3 1/2 to 4 hours or have a bad day and do it in 6 1/2 to 7 hours (Equipment out of service and so on)? Whould this look bad on my service and should I charge less on the days I have a good day and more on the days I had a bad day?

Thanks,
    eazy

6. Mdirrigation

Mdirrigation LawnSite Silver Member

An estimate is usually a fixed number , a fee by the hour is an hourly rate. I only charge by the hour when the parmaters of the job cant be defined . If you price a job by the hour and you think it woll take 5 hours and you do it in 3 you bill for the time spent , 3 hours. And if you are billing work by the hour using equipment and it breaks down after 3 hours you would bill the hourly rate for the equipment up to the time it broke. We bid jobs for a fixed price , define the job paramaters , anything outside the bid is extra. If your equipment breaks thats your problem not the customers.

7. Fantasy Lawns

Fantasy Lawns LawnSite Bronze Member

I think $65 an hour sounds great .... I'd made almost $500k with only 4 guys last year at that rate

But yes .... I charge at an hourly rate .... I only use sq ft measures to estimate the time for the job .... all extras beyond basic mowing and shrub care is charged "extra" based on material used and amount of labor to perform the job