Estimates for hedge trimming

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Coop, Jul 4, 2000.

1. Coop

Coop LawnSite Member

I am new to the business and I have a customer that is looking for an estimate for trimming 140` of hedges 6` tall. What would be a reasonable estimate and what kind of equiptment would you use

2. little green guy

little green guy LawnSite Senior Member

The way i estamate hedges is by figuring out about how long it will take and charge an hourly rate. <p>I use commercail gas powered double recipricating hedge trimmers to cut the hedges. I also bring a backpack blower, rake, green barrel, hand prunners, an other person or two and sometimes a ladder. hope this helps

3. osc

osc LawnSite Senior Member

I look at it by the day, if it takes me 1/2 day with no help, I want atleast $350.00. If full day with no help then atleast $500.00.

4. yardsmith

yardsmith LawnSite Senior Member
    from Ohio

Dittos on figuring it by hourly, & also add in how many loads of hauling it'll take to cart it away too.<br>If I will have a helper, figure in their hrs. too (naturally).<p>----------<br>Smitty ô¿ô<br>

5. thelawnguy

thelawnguy LawnSite Silver Member

How wide? If under 6 feet wide I would charge $140. $1/foot with my 6-4 frame and 37 inch sleeve and 30 inch trimmer it'd be done and cleaned up in an hour, maybe $8 for the tipping fee for disposal of the debris. If you use hand shears well then charge by the hour.<p>Bill

6. AGG Lawn Maintenance

AGG Lawn Maintenance LawnSite Senior Member
    from Elberon

On an hourly rate!! ($40/hour for my company)<br>Plus anything we haul away $50.00 per pick up load. Use a two man crew one on a ladder doing the top and one on the ground cutting both sides. If the hedge is right next to a street you might be able to cut it standing in a pick up truck. Also check into a Echo line trimmer that you can put a hedge trimming attachment.<br>Good luck Travis AG&G Lawn Maintenance :)

7. bill phagan

bill phagan Guest

Coop, the above ideas are great especially for a 6' hedge....you may also want to calculate your production rate for hedges by the sq ft....average is about 150 SF per manhour....take your cost per manhour X # of SQ......factor in the 6' hedge, ladder, up and down, hauling of debris, add in overhead recovery and finally what you want to make to determine your selling price.<p>Bill Phagan<br>Greenindconsulting.com

8. Dale

Dale LawnSite Member

It's either two men a half day, or two men a whole day for anything. We only sell our time in those kinds of blocks. $ 140 for that hedge ?? You gotta be kidding me. OSC is much closer to reality.

9. lawngator

lawngator LawnSite Member
    from Florida

I'm with THELAWNGUY. If you know what you're doing, this is a one - two hour job included dump time. $150 is a fair price and easier to sell than $350. $75/hr is good money in my book. Anything more than that is greed, and that won't get you any repeat business or referrals. Just my opinion, Bill

10. thelawnguy

thelawnguy LawnSite Silver Member

two guys half a day? Whats the company motto, smoke em if ya got em? Dont know where you are from, but around here customers dont pay for ineptitude. Theres enough guys who know what they are doing and who can be in and out in a reasonable time, that the slowpokes wont even get a crack at the job.<p>Bill