Estimates - how soon do you run them?

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by americanlawn, Mar 13, 2008.

1. americanlawn

americanlawn LawnSite Fanatic
    from midwest

We try to run estimates within 4 or 5 days. Our territory goes 40 miles in all directions. We "route them in" with our daily routes, so some get done the same day (2-way radio), yet others don't get done until 5 days later. Sometimes we arrive within 2 days and find out they already went with somebody else. :cry:

Couple years ago, one LCO advertised estimates within 24 hours.......that was the last time they advertised that. I can't blame 'em cuz even the cheapest gasoline is well over $3.00 per gallon now.....and it will get worse.

Wondering what your thoughts were. Thanks.

2. jbturf

jbturf LawnSite Bronze Member

for me it depends on when i have time available,
    any one that calls for an estimate- i give them a
    rough time frame-be it a day or 2 weeks.

i dont advertise, so most any calls i get are refferals
    these people seem to know what they want already,
    and will wait

but i can see how a cold call would be different, so many people
    now a days have no time or patience- they want everything
    now now now!

3. RigglePLC

RigglePLC LawnSite Fanatic

I try to do estimates within 24 hours. A sales lead costs about 50 dollars in advertising and promotion costs. Ten miles today or tomorrow the gas costs the same.

4. americanlawn

from midwest

I see both points. Nuther question: Do you call them back? We don't, and I realize this is not good salesmanship, but I am burnt out making phone calls over the years. Plus, most folks don't really like getting phone calls from salesmen??? Plus -- if we were "high pressure", our cancellation rate would go up. I think loyal customers agree. My two cents worth.

5. RigglePLC

RigglePLC LawnSite Fanatic

A agree Larry. I don't always call them back "to see if you have any questions." But I should, considering the cost of a lead and the time and gas already invested.

6. LushGreenLawn

LushGreenLawn LawnSite Silver Member

I try to have mine done the same day, unless its late in the day. Then I try for the next morning.

I have had to many times where I scheduled an estimate for the next day, or two days, only to find out they have gone with someone else.

I call back once, to see if they have questions, not a hard sell, but just a point of contact, unless I think it is someone who I have a bad feeling about.

Obviously sometimes I can stick to the quick estimate, espically if they are oun our southern route (25 -50 miles from my home office).

7. americanlawn

from midwest

Agreed. Thanks:waving:

8. americanlawn

from midwest

Do your trucks run on vegetable oil?:laugh:

9. group501

group501 LawnSite Member

We try to have all estimates done within 48 hours. This does not always work out, depending on the amount of leads we have to run. Gas is expensive but so is losing a potential customer to a more aggressive company. This year we will be following all estimates up with a phone call after 48 hrs.

10. LushGreenLawn

LushGreenLawn LawnSite Silver Member

Yes, gas is expensive, but not our biggest expense. I would rather spend a little in gas (and time, thats more of the pain than gas) and have a better chance at closing the customer.

Soon, we will have grown to the point where I will not usually be working in the field, and I can do the estimates usually on the spot.