Estimates (No call backs)

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by 4-Seasons, Mar 22, 2008.

1. 4-Seasons

4-Seasons LawnSite Member
    from NJ

Is it normal to give about 12-15 estimates and only 2 people call back and want us to do the job. I know we arent high with oour prices. I just cant figure it out.

2. Dunn's

Dunn's LawnSite Bronze Member

3. Raven386

Raven386 LawnSite Silver Member
    from CT

No, I really dont think thats normal...I agree with Dunn. I see this is why you had made your other post. Dont lower your prices to get the job. work on your presentation. and how you talk to your customers.

4. stevenf

stevenf LawnSite Bronze Member

I recently had the same thing happen to me and figured out that it was timing. Ipassed out 300 doorhangers at the end of february and ended up giving 8 estimates and only got one $100.00 weed job. I waited a few weeks and pass out another 300 earlier this week. So far Ive given two estimates and got both.

5. StBalor

StBalor LawnSite Senior Member

You really need to pass out alot more then 300. I have passed out 6000 in the past 5 days. and only 8 calls so far.

6. AI Inc

AI Inc LawnSite Fanatic

You want to aim for a closure rate of about 50%. If your getting more raise your pricing. If your getting less then you realy need to look at what you are doing. Hold your head high with an air of confidence , but not arrogance.

7. TNT LawnCare Inc.

TNT LawnCare Inc. LawnSite Bronze Member

Are the estimates for mowing only ? If so thats not a very good ratio...How much are you asking for mow,trim & blow ? what size yard ?

8. 2 clowns mowing

2 clowns mowing LawnSite Senior Member

all of my estimates get approved. i give it the same day they call. can't give them time to think about it. the quicker the better. give them a higher option than give them a reasonable estimate some pick the higher most go for the cheaper one. also call back 2 days later and thank them for letting you quote job. most likely they are waiting on some one else to give them a estimate but since i called them, they most likely approve the job. also put a sign on the side of your truck saying "we show up!" works every time. the most problems people have is the other people never show up soon enough.

9. Daily Lawn/Landscape

Daily Lawn/Landscape LawnSite Senior Member

Follow up call is always a good practice.

10. Gilligan

Gilligan LawnSite Member
    from Florida

There are alot of things you can do to improve your hit ratio.

Some of them have been mentioned..so if I repeat something ...sorry..

Be prompt...not just when you get the account...In other words if you receive a voicemail..don't wait hours or days to call them back..call back ASAP...for existing clients as well...no on likes to be kept waiting..it makes them feel un-important

When meeting with a potential customer...Ask Questions...and LISTEN to what the customer says..

Have they ever used a lawn service before
    If so, what did they like and dislike about that service.

Why don't they have that lawn service anymore. Did they drop the service or did the service drop them. (slow payers)

Why are they calling you, How did they hear about you?

Other than price what would they say is the most important thing or things they value in choosing a lawn care service.

How were they being charged previously...weekly, monthly, per cut...etc...
    and you can generally get them to spit out a rough number of what they were paying...just stating it that way...

"Jim...so you were paying monthly previously..was that conveinient for you?" (Jim says yes or no) "Let me ask you Jim, approximately what were they charging you per month" "The reason I ask this Jim is some companies bill on a twelve month cycle and others bill monthly only during the growing season. In order to be competitive with my pricing plan I would like to present you with a comparison to what you had, since it worked for you..."

Most customers will just spit out there previous price while still trying to figure out what the heck you just said.

If they don't or even if they do...offer them a choice of plans...First give them a very basic...option..just mowing, edging and weed eating...and price...see how they react...

If they react shocked..well then move on..haha
    If they seem pleased then offer them a premium service say including hedge trimming and making sure your driveway and sidewalks always stay weed free the price would be ...blah blah

I could go on for hours..with more of this..but I hope you get the point..

Lastly ...and this is important..When discussing all these things with customers...you must do it as if you have done it a thousand times...and it must come off smoothly...Nothing turns a customer off faster than someone who doesnt know what they are saying...

So if your not real smooth at doing this...you can either practice in front of new customers ...and loose a bunch in the process...or have your GF or spouse play the customer role and practice...In 30 minutes you become real comfortable asking the right questions at the right time....

Hope this helped