Estimates On Hangers

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by Scagmower48, Aug 27, 2007.

1. Scagmower48

Scagmower48 LawnSite Senior Member

Im looking to get more accounts next year with my 48 walk behind. I am looking into buying around three thousand door hangers that offer my services. I am thinking of having a space on the door hanger that will allow me to place a weekly mowing price on the hanger, that will be placed on the door. Has anybody tried this method with door hangers before, and were the results worth it or am i just wasting my time. And are door hangers even worth it? Any input from you guys is greatly appreciated.

2. MattsMowing3535

MattsMowing3535 LawnSite Senior Member

Yeah they work well, I just print out flyers that are half a sheet of paper so for maybe 3 dollers in toner and 10 dollers in color paper I can get 1000 paper. Its cheap at works all the same..

3. GLLawns

GLLawns LawnSite Member

Not always, you can get burned bad if you are not careful. I was told by some others that tried this that they gave prices but were not able to get around the backs of the houses and when they showed up to do the job there were huge yards with tons of trimming. Make sure that if you do try and check out the yards, you get permission to be on there, or you could get bit or shot.

4. aracad

aracad LawnSite Member

I just started this year, but that is exactly what I am doing. I leave a price estimate at each home. Yes I do try to look at the property as I walk up. Notice size of gate for fenced property as it is the most important. I also fill out around 300 estimates before I leave the house. In other owrds if I am targeting a sub-d that I know will range mostly from $30.00-$45.00 I will fill out a bunch in advance at $30.00, $35.00, $40.00, $45.00 and then carry a few blank ones that I can quickly fill in if these aren't close enough estimates.
    Also as this is an estimate. I have never had a complaint if I had to go up in price $3-$5.00. When you get a call just explain that you will need full access to the property to give the actual bid, but you are sure that it is within the 3-5 dollar margin of error. I told a lady whom I left a $25.00 bid that it could vary by approx $3.00 and she went ahead and wrote the check for the whole season at $28.00 before I even went back to give an actual bid. To this day I have never met the homeowner, but not for lack of trying.

Oh yeah I almost forgot. Check out www.3000doorhangers.com. Great prices on professional looking doorhangers. These are so much nicer than doing it yourself. I have done both, but a true doorhanger is quicker to hang and looks professional when you leave. I think 3000 pcs are around $179.00, but you can get an additional 3000 for another $99.00 I believe. I also staple a business card to every hanger.

I have had the best response from doorhangers. I never recieved a single call from a newspaper ad I ran in a local paper.

5. WHIPPLE5.7

WHIPPLE5.7 LawnSite Senior Member

Same thing I planned on doing next year.

6. SCAG POWER

SCAG POWER LawnSite Senior Member

Flyer's, I see them all the time just laying in the street or stuffed in the doors along with every one else's.Pizza , dry cleaning house cleaning and various one s. The funny part is one guy says $25.00 , the next flyer says $ 20 , I even found one that said $ 45.00 per month based on 4 weeks, $ 11.20 per cut..................... Get real stop selling on price sell on price die on price.There will always be some one who thinks they can go lower, but not for long.

I do not use flyer's. I look my clients up via county tax records all the information is there that i need. Then i send a proper letter to the home owner directly address to them type and printed. If they are in the market at that time they will call. The fee for my service will discussed at an appointment and not before.

I do not hit every house on the street with this only the ones that I want to do. More of a rifle shot than spray and pray, after looking them up and getting the letter in the mail I then go back and review the tax info print it off and take it with me , It has all the dimensions of the property that I need this way there is no debate on just how much grass there is.

7. ExcaliburLawnCare

ExcaliburLawnCare LawnSite Member
    from MI

Even though they are not colour, I use the library to print out my fliers. I just email myself a word file and print off a few hundred copies. No limit at my local!!

8. aracad

aracad LawnSite Member

The flyers are working great for me, but I admit I offer alot of other services which are listed on them. I get calls weeks after they receive the flyer.
    In fact I am heading out now to spray neighborhoods with some more flyers.

See ya soon!

9. TTPRODR

TTPRODR LawnSite Member

what you all think about this door hanger?I just did it there in doorhangers.com

Attached Files:

10. Leaf Jockey

Leaf Jockey LawnSite Senior Member

I'm sure that lawn looks fine from a distance but that up close pic looks bad IN MY OPINION. The rest of the hanger looks good.

Scott