Estimates that waste your time.

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by meathead1134, Apr 25, 2008.

1. meathead1134

meathead1134 LawnSite Senior Member

Lets see them.

Lady called wanted and asked me for an estimate. I arrived she needed

spring cleanup very small
    6 yards of mulch
    alot of edging, I mean alot, did I say alot of edging
    make 2 little new beds

She said to me it nice to talk with somebody that can speak english. I told her that if she somebody come out that could bearly speak english. My quote was probally going to be higher than theirs. Sure enough my quote was about $350.00 higher than the previous person. She told me what their quote was and I just laughed and said no way :laugh::laugh:. My quote was $890.00
  2. fiveoboy01

fiveoboy01 LawnSite Silver Member

Happens to us all.

I just move on to the next person. Some people are deliberately cheap, some are trying to get you lower than their current guy, and some simply are ignorant of what it generally costs for green industry services.

I don't get upset over it anymore. I used to but it's just a part of business. You still have to consult with every customer because you never know if you'll get the job or not if you don't.
  3. DA Quality Lawn & YS

DA Quality Lawn & YS LawnSite Fanatic

Good stories - this ought to get interesting responses.

I did an estimate (or shall I say didn't do) a couple days ago for a couple I took on as a weekly mow. Nice couple, they moved in a home just recently which was not well taken care of by the previous owner. At any rate - they wanted me to estimate doing a spring clean up on their patio area, which was used as a 'dog storage' area by the previous owners. Totally neglected, tons of leaves and other junk in it, and worst of all, MOUNTAINS OF DOG POOP! My customers said "How much?" I advised "Uhhh, I would cost too much for your liking for this job, call xxxx or xxxx and they can quote it for you (my competitors:)" I'm hard working, but I draw the line at pitching dog manure.
  4. JTF40

JTF40 LawnSite Senior Member

REJECTED free estimates are just a part of doing business. :usflag:
  5. meathead1134

meathead1134 LawnSite Senior Member

I forgot another customer "I have a big yard that needs cutting" Come to find out the yard is only about 9K square feet. Since I'm in the area I quoted her $40.00. She says that I have somebody that will do it for $25.00. I told her if it dosen't work out to give me a call and I'll do it for $40.00
  6. DistLawns

DistLawns LawnSite Member
    from Midwest

"a millionaire is totaly broke without their character and integrity"
    I'll take the Million.
  7. martyman

martyman LawnSite Member

I find that 80% of the quotes that I go to and the person say's "I will call you, I'm just getting a few more quotes" are wasting my time. I ask blunt questions before I waste my fuel now like "are you looking for the cheapest service or a quality service you will keep for year?" and most will say they are cheap.
  8. JTF40

JTF40 LawnSite Senior Member

Statements like that is THE problem. I'll take the character and integrity my parents instilled in me any day over money. Sure, you can have both. More than likely, you have neither.

PM me if you would like to discuss this further.

Stay on topic. :usflag:
  9. LedgedaleLawn

LedgedaleLawn LawnSite Senior Member

Unfortunately they are a necessary evil.
  10. Richard Martin

Richard Martin LawnSite Fanatic

I went and looked at a small yard the other day for regular cutting. The grass/weeds hadn't been cut yet this year so it was well over a foot tall in spots. I quoted her a price of $30 weekly or $35 bi-weekly. Before I had a chance to talk about the first cut price she said she wanted it cut weekly and asked of I would come and cut her grass for $30 one time just so she could see how good a job I did. Then I got the chance to tell her the first cut would be $45 and she said she would call me back.

I'll be honest with you, I believe she was just looking for some sucker to cut her foot plus tall grass for cheap.