estimates

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by cclllc, Feb 27, 2001.

1. cclllc

cclllc LawnSite Senior Member

How many give free estimates.I do but my start charging and give it back if they sign.

2. kutnkru

kutnkru LawnSite Silver Member

As far as Lawn Care is concerned I believe most of the cobntractors you would call in our area are Free.

This does not however apply to Landscaping. They are given out like you said and the cost refunded upon approval of the bid.

Hope this helps.
    Kris

3. bobbygedd

bobbygedd LawnSite Fanatic
    from NJ

wow, its gonna be tough to be paid for estimates. i spend about 20-30 min doing an estimate if i arrange for them to be there. i consider this an investment, and time well spent. bob

4. ron

ron LawnSite Senior Member

HEY IF YOU CHARGE FOR EST. YOU WILL SCARE THE PEOPLE AWAY YOU NEED TO WRITE DOWN THE STARTING AND ENDING MILAGE AND DEDUCT IT OFF YOUR TAXES FOR TRAVEL ETC.

5. awm

awm LawnSite Gold Member

A landscape design with estimate to do it
    is a lot different than just giving a mowing price.
    Most times I can spend spend 2 to 10 min and know what
    I need to mow it.Landscape might take several days to
    find and price everything.

6. 1MajorTom

1MajorTom Senior Moderator

Wow, I think we would be laughed out of town if we tried to start charging for estimates.

It is pretty automatic around here that people assume estimates are going to be free for lawn care.

I know sometimes it can be a waste of time to do certain estimates, but charging for it is not going to get you any further ahead. Just my thoughts.