Estimates

Discussion in 'Irrigation' started by houston, Mar 6, 2004.

1. houston

houston LawnSite Member

When doing an estimate/proposal, do you

A. Visit the site and customer and give an estimate then.

B. Go back to the office and figure everything up and take the proposal to the customer a day or 2 later.

And why do you do it the way you do it?

Do you take anything with you to demonstrate or educate the customer about a sprinkler system or literature about the items you propose to use?

Or do you just go, introduce yourself and then proceed to gather the information necessary to give a proposal?

Do you feel/think customers are the least bit interested in what you are going to do and install or do you think they could care less - just give me a proposal and install the system?

:confused:

Thanks

2. greenworldh20

greenworldh20 LawnSite Senior Member

ok, you asked an easy question....

the answer is 'a'. i write the proposal out when i meet with the client.

now, i will explain my answer.

we have a 3 part contract that outlines everything i will do when i install the system. it includes the warranty and licensed plumber info, too. we had folders 'pre printed' with our logo, and company info. inside that folder we put the estimate/contract, product info, company info, and client referrals.

simple, right? easy. yeah.

that is how i do 'it'.

now, if you mail out a 'letter of intro', show up on time and present client with detailed professional estimate, give follow up call in 2 days, how can you not get the job? oh yeah, do what you say you are going to do. there are a few more things, but to keep it simple, this is it.

that is how you sell.

brian

3. greenworldh20

greenworldh20 LawnSite Senior Member

'Do you feel/think customers are the least bit interested in what you are going to do and install or do you think they could care less - just give me a proposal and install the system?'

in regards as to what gets the client's attention, you have to be a 'doctor'.

when you visit a doctor, you say 'my side hurts'. the doctor will ask questions and 'poke and prod' at you to determine what is wrong.

the same applies to sales. you must 'poke and prod'. ask questions and listen to the answers the client gives you. the biggest mistake sales people do is not listen to the client.

if you listen, the client will tell you what you, the sales person, needs to do to get his business. this is a game. the better a player you become, the more successful you will be.

brian