1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Estimating a mulching job

Discussion in 'Landscape Maintenance' started by dsikaras, Mar 22, 2010.

1. dsikaras

dsikaras LawnSite Member

We are new to the business and have 4 to 5 mulching jobs to estimate. Most of the jobs are here in the Chicagoland area and are at homes valued between $300-500K. Can someone please help with how much labor we should charge for one of these jobs:

Garden size: 355 sq ft

Thickness: 2 inches

We calculated 2.2 cubic yards or 60 cubic feet. Just need some help with labor charges. Thanks
  2. murrayslandscaping22

murrayslandscaping22 LawnSite Senior Member

i charge 100 a yard
  3. dsikaras

dsikaras LawnSite Member

Sorry forgot to mention that we are getting mulch for $43 per yard.
  4. Glenn Lawn Care

Glenn Lawn Care LawnSite Silver Member

$43 dollars a yard. is that your price or retail price. retail price for mulch here (mn) is $24.99 a yard. i charge $65 a yard installed but if you only need 2.2 yarsd i would charge $100 a yard.
  5. mike174

mike174 LawnSite Member

This season I've been getting $75 - $90 per yard (depending on the openess of beds & how far we need to haul it), but my cost for mulch is $25/yd. If I price $100 or higher, I get told thank you for the estimate, but we need to think about it.
  6. RM Grading and Lawn care

RM Grading and Lawn care LawnSite Member

around here dark mulch is 14$ and color goes for 24$
  7. Jamie James

Jamie James LawnSite Member

Up here in ontario canada. I charge $90.00 per yard. I get it for around 45 bucks,,,,,,, thats me driving there and laying it down.:canadaflag:
  8. Rexdale Grass

Rexdale Grass LawnSite Member

ive been trying to get this figured out 45 a yard is about right now depending on labor I start at 35 an hour but if I know how long the job will take 90 instaled per yard is good its like tiping yourself. Then again I can only get 1 yard in my trailer, I like to try and roll with the big boys.