estimating backfill stone for Allan Block

Discussion in 'Hardscaping' started by PatriotLandscape, Feb 7, 2008.

1. PatriotLandscape

PatriotLandscape LawnSite Bronze Member
    from MA

I am putting together an estimate for allan block europa and can't seem to find how much stone you need to account for to fill the cells anyone know what they reccommend?

2. Tom B.

Tom B. LawnSite Member

By any chance do you know the dimensions of the cells? If so, you could just calculate the volume of the cell for one block and multiply it by the total # of blocks.

3. mrusk

mrusk LawnSite Gold Member

Follow the above. If its not a huge wall i'd just add a few extra tons of 3/4.

4. PatriotLandscape

from MA

I ended up just doubling the 3/4 for the job and thinking it would be close enough.

5. mrusk

mrusk LawnSite Gold Member

If you normall put 12" behind the wall just work out calculations for 18".

6. GreenMonster

GreenMonster LawnSite Silver Member
    from NH

From the AB Installation guide:

Block cores and Consolidation zone: This includes the material in the block cores plus a 12" layer behind the blocks.

Calculate:

wall height (ft) * Wall length (ft) x 1.2 = Wall rock ft3

Covert cubic feet to tons by:

wall rock ft3 * 120lbs (unit weight of rock) / 2000/lbs = Wall rock in tons

Captain, are you sure you can't sell this job as Quarry Stone. Up here, the pricing on the two are pretty close, and you are going to more than make up for the price difference with the labor involved with dealing with AB core filling and fiddling with corners (assuming you are using them). Not only that, QS is a far superior product to AB. My experience with Europa is several pieces with broken and chipped corners from the tumbling process.

7. csl

csl LawnSite Member

just call your allan block dealer. we install thousands of feet of wall a year and all we do is call the local dealer and ask them to do the calculations for us. it saves us all sorts of time because the summers are so busy. just make sure you double check all the numbers they give you. its sorta like cheating, but thats what they are there for, to help out.

8. PatriotLandscape

from MA

I wouldn't trust anyone with my numbers.

9. PatriotLandscape

from MA

She ended up choosing celtic wall. The Techo dealer here just went out of business. I do not agree with Techo's idea on letting anyone be a dealer. Here there were two dealers who were also contractor's I just didn't like buying from them because the customer service was terrible. We have 3 great dedicated stoneyards here so I only buy from them and none of them carry Techo.

10. GreenMonster

GreenMonster LawnSite Silver Member
    from NH

I didn't know Techo had that approach to dealers. I thought it was just the opposite -- that you couldn't install and sell.

I don't blame you for not buying it though. Generally, unless it's super convienent, or I'm in a pinch, I don't buy from a Landscape outfit that also sells as a nursery or supplier. That's just putting money in your competition's pocket, right?