Estimating/Bidding Jobs

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by rross, Oct 9, 2002.

1. rross

rross LawnSite Member

I have been doing this part time since I was about 15. I am going full time next year I have some questions and from looking at you peoples past, you are the people to talk too.

1. How do you bid a job, do you guys use a wheel foot walker, those things that tell you how many feet you have walked, and then start multiplying to get the square footage? Cause I have just been eyeing it...its luckily worked so far,,:blob3: Common grounds??? 1/4 acres?? tell me everything u know....I'm a rookie

2. When do I bid on these jobs like community colleges? sub-divisions, I won't start chopping until april, so do I start with the advertising now, or wait until feb or march??? when do I bid??

3. bidding fertilizing??? aeration??? seeding???

Thanks guys

Rodney:blob4: :blob1: :blob4:

2. greenman

greenman LawnSite Addict

I think you have a lot to learn still, on the business side of things, before you are ready to go full time. How old are you now? That is very important. Welcome to lawnsite, this is the best place to get advice.

Search this forum for answers first. You can get more info quicker.

3. Expert Lawns

Expert Lawns LawnSite Silver Member

i'm fairly new to the game as well. here's what i do..

i figure how long it will take me to mow the lawn, trim and blow. if there is an overwhelming amount of blowing and trimming, i charge a bit extra. after i figure how long it takes me, i try to make it so i'm earning $30-$60 an hour. no less, its not worth it, we're not a charity. i've never used a square foot price method.
    the only time i'd drop my rate is if i have multiple accounts next to each other,or if one customer gives me 2 or more referalls. hope this helps. its very important to charge accordingly. don't forget that you should be getting paid as you drive from account to account. factor that in with your gas...... :p

4. We do 4 U

We do 4 U LawnSite Member

WHEN I GIVE A NEW CUSTOMER A BID I USE THE METHOD OF HOW LONG DOES IT LOOK LIKE IT IS GOING TO TAKE ME TO GET THE JOB DONE. WE ARE ALL OUT HERE TRING TO MAKE A BUCK SO YOU DO NOT WANT TO UNDER PRICE YOUR SELF. DO NOT WAIT UNTIL MARCH OR APRIL. YOU NEED TO START ADVERTISING IN DECEMBER AND JAN. BECAUSE PEOPLE AND BUSINESS'S USUALLY START CONTRACTS AT THE BEGING OF THE YEAR. I USUALLY TRY TO GET NO LESS THAN $30 AN HOUR FOR HOMEOWNERS AND $40 AN HOUR FOR COMMERCIAL ACCOUNTS. REMEMBER NOT TO UNDER PRICE YOUR SELF. ALSO IF YOU DO NOT CUT WITH ZERO-TURN I HIGHLY SUGGEST IT. I RUN A 52" SCAG ZERO-TURN AND A 36" TORO WALK BEHIND AND AM VERY PLEASED WITH BOTH IN SPEED AND PERFORMANCE. GOOG LUCK