Estimating by using unimproved lot size

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by lawncuttinfoo, Aug 2, 2006.

1. lawncuttinfoo

lawncuttinfoo LawnSite Bronze Member

I was reading the justmowit thread and I noticed he uses unimproved lot size for pricing, I have always estimated using sq. footage of grass but I love the idea about including the whole lot not only does my county's government provide a website with all lot dimentions so I don't have to go to estimate but it also solves the problem of narrow stripes of grass between beds and so forth because you are including the bed size in the price.

Anyone else been estimating size of turf only?

2. lawncuttinfoo

lawncuttinfoo LawnSite Bronze Member

In my area this guy is deffinatly not lowballing, for each dollar he charges he mows at MOST 516 sq. ft. and that includes the house area that is not mowed, where I come from that is good money.

3. FATWEASEL

FATWEASEL LawnSite Senior Member
    from NC

I price residential on total lot size. Commercial depends on the layout. I've done both but usually based on the amount of grass to cut.

For instance a church I cut has 11 acres but only 2.25 acres of grass. They get charged for the grass. Another business I cut is on 1 acre with about 4000 sq ft in building and parking. They get charged by the acre.

4. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

Yeah ok, I get it... And I'll keep the idea in mind because I don't take off beds but what if half the lot is in the woods?
    They never wanted anything done to that, they wanted their 10k square feet of lawn cut, the lot comes out to 1/2 acre...
    Gee, that guy on the phone said $45 but this other guy came over said he'd do it for $35 honey, what do you think, should we see if we can find someone for $30 or take the $35 guy and leave well enough alone?

What if it turns out almost all grass, wow, the price is right on time honey, someone wants to cut this steep, hilly yard, yeah he gave me the price on the phone and he's all excited, said he'd be over today. Yup, I think that guy in the black car was the other one we called, but he never even stopped or got out the car, he just kept on driving, dunno for sure but...

So then the rest you lose because it's over priced...
    Customers are not stupid, most of them DO know the going rate even thou over half act like they don't, but most do.

But you can do it over the phone, you just have to advertise more and price even higher to make up for what you can not see.
    Still you win some, lose most.

5. General Landscaping

General Landscaping LawnSite Senior Member

Like I tell customers on the phone...... You can have a $80 dollar a month or a $240 dollar a month yard on the same sized property; it depends on the layout. I'll have to look at it to give you an accurate estimate. First I need your address........

I get a MUCH better close rate if I can meet FTF with the customer and give a $# on the spot.

There are some exceptions like the new neighborhoods popping up where everything is new, not cluttered, and uniform. But I would still like a FTF with the customer.