Estimating landscape jobs

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by Fins Up, Mar 6, 2002.

1. Fins Up

Fins Up LawnSite Member

I have provided landscape ,irrigation ,and maintenance services for a large corporation for about 7 years now. I have always questioned my pricicing of the new irrigation and landscape installations that I have done for them.
    I generally take the materials cost and double it with additional charges for equipment usage at 50.00 per man hour.
    I would really appreciate any help in possibly obtaining a better estimating technique if this seems under estimating.
    The average job cost is around 48000.00 total if that helps any.

Thanks for any suggestions.

2. Tim Canavan

Tim Canavan LawnSite Member
    from Houston

I hope Fins Up is because you are a Dolphins fan. I am, but I live in Houston now. Anyway, with landscaping, (plants, mulch, rock , etc.) I always triple the price. That will take care of overhead and then some. I have yet to get my irrigators liscence, so I wouldn't know about that. I just contract that out for now. Good luck.

3. RoyeDillon

RoyeDillon LawnSite Member

Depends on your costs, how long it takes you, etc.. Every job is different that is what makes bidding so "fun". You can't see under the ground when bidding, you can't tell if your crew will slack or not, etc.... I have been on lawnandlandscape.com board for a month or so they can help contribute also. One thing I know for sure the most accurate way is for you to Know howlong it takes for each job. Take laboe + costs + materials & then mark up for desired profit. Most guys just double or triple materials when they may really be losing money. Cause as I said each job is different. On commercial work you have to use above formula cause your competition knows their costs & desired profit & may be bidding it tighter than you. How long does it take to plant tree X, how long for bush Z, how long to put in this edging or that one, etc., etc., etc. See what I'm saying? Bidding is very much a judgement call. Just hope & pray you make more right ones than wrong ones.

4. Always Green

Always Green LawnSite Member

Fins you didn't say if your going to Guarantee your work, Planting first I take my plantings and make them up 150% this covers you if you have to replace the plants, and with 20 years under my belt I can tell how long it taks my crew to do just about any job so we charge labor plus overhead plus profit (look in any estimating book) If other guys come in lower so what if you get the job but not what you want to do it you'll just make youself sick and broke let the lowball do it he'll eather go broke or make a bad name for himself and out out of business