Estimating Leaf Cleanup

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Big 12 Lawns, Mar 20, 2003.

1. Big 12 Lawns

Big 12 Lawns LawnSite Member

Okay, I have 2 acres of leaves to clean up. they aren't thick. but it is a lot of land to cover. Have any of you guys got a good system to figuring out how to bid something like this. In all honesty, I am a bad judge of measurements. I haven't raked leaves too much, so I can't look at it and tell you if it will take me 8 hours or 28 hours. I know that it depends upon how thick the leaves are, but I was hoping that some of you might have a system by which you measure how long it takes to rake so many square feet or something. Any help would be very appreciated.

Thanks,
    Ron

2. TotalCareSolutions

TotalCareSolutions LawnSite Senior Member

what is this "raking" you speak of?

3. Navig8r

Navig8r LawnSite Senior Member

Ummm.. doesn't "rake" refer to the angle of the mower deck, front to back ???

How does this relate to clearing leaves from 2 acres...LOL

;)

If you ARE gonna rake... I would say the 28 hours is probably closer!!!!

4. TotalCareSolutions

I believe "rake" may be a slang term for when you take off without putting up your gate.

5. Big 12 Lawns

Well... See now... Some people have lots of cash and can buy fancy fangled leaf sucking machines that actually put the leaves in bags for you. Some pay $2000 to put a bagger on their zero turn machine. Me? I'm not one of those guys. Business isn't making me enough money to do that yet. So I have to use one of those tools from the dark ages called a RAKE. Its rather primitive, but its all I've got.

6. Big 12 Lawns

Anybody got a suggestion as to how I can do it better? I mean, I appreciate the humor and all, but that isn't getting me anywhere. I would bag if I had something better than a 21" mower to bag them in. How much do those leaf vacs usually run anyhow?

If I invested in something like that, how much should I charge to bag per acre or square foot?

7. Lawn-N-Garden Guy

Lawn-N-Garden Guy LawnSite Senior Member

I understand where your coming from ,I used to use one of those rake things you talk about and face the same problems like most of us on here did ,youve got to start out somewhere,2 yrs ago I purchased a Little Wonder 8 hp blower and used that and a back pac blower to clean off yards til this past fall I did finally purchase an Ultra Vac for my ZTR.It just takes alot off hard labor to get up to buying the right equip. to do the job.I still have to tarp alot of debris,I havent graduated to a Billy Goat Truck Loader yet,Hang in there it will come in time.

8. TotalCareSolutions

1) rent a lot blower
    2) blow the leaves into the wooded areas
    3 hrs $250 $66/hr

1) rent a lot blower
    2) blow leaves into piles
    3) bag them
    4) line the bags at the street
    7 hrs $450 $57/hr

9. Navig8r

Navig8r LawnSite Senior Member

I would agree with totalcare.....

RENT a machine....... 2 acres is too much to rake.. you won't make any money this way on a prop. that big.

Do you own a backpack or handheld blower??
    If so, what type?

FYI... if you have a Home Depot near you with a Tool Rental Center, they can sell you any piece of used equipment in their inventory at a depreciated rate..... just ask..... They do rent the Little Wonder also...... If you will be doing fall cleanups... try to buy a blower.... a GOOD one... it will pay for itself very quickly!

You said leaf cover was not heavy.... depending on the type of mower you run.. perhaps you could mulch them if the customer is OK with that... Really depends on type of leaves, dryness, and amount, as well as type of mower. Just remember you will probably go over the lawn AT LEAST twice to do this.. if not more, so charge accordingly.

Good luck........

BTW.. it helps others responding to your posts if you list the type of equip. you use in your signature line... that way you don't need to tell everyone in every post you make, what kind of equipment you'll be using to do the job your posting about......

10. Big 12 Lawns

Thank You!

I appreciate the advice.