estimating mowing jobs for newby

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by jpaul4, May 15, 2008.

1. jpaul4

jpaul4 LawnSite Member

I am new to mowing for pay. I have lot's of experience mowing for myself. I have a 33 HP 60" dixie and would like to do some commercial work. I have the truck, trailer, trimmers and blowers. I need help estimating time needed to do a job. I also could use advise on getting clients. Amy help would be much appreciated.*trucewhiteflag*

2. 2stroke

2stroke LawnSite Senior Member

i try to get $1 per hr. mowing.

3. jpaul4

jpaul4 LawnSite Member

How do estimate the amount of time needed for a job.

4. NOOB

NOOB LawnSite Member

WOW lowballer
    I am at $1.50 an hour

it is all what you think you are worth!!

5. doubleedge

doubleedge LawnSite Senior Member
    from ND

Dont give him ideas!! No one around here goes for above $1.

Seriously though, ask another LCO for an estimate on your lawn and go from there. I don't know your market well enough to give you prices, but consider obstacles, size, gates (that 60" wont be getting through many), turf conditions (height, thickness, dry or wet, etc.), and if you need to bag or not. Remember that most cities (if not all) require lawn care companies to dump in a dump or on private land.

6. XterraJohn

XterraJohn LawnSite Member

It can be a little hard to estimate time when you're just getting started. If you have a yard of your own, set your stopwatch and then go mow it just the way you would if it was a customer's yard. Edge, trim, and blow the clippings. Get a feel for how long it takes you. You might also do this with the yards of family and friends. I'm not saying you should mow everyone's yard for free on an ongoing basis, but, see if you can get some practice cuts in just to get a feel for it.

7. siklid1066

siklid1066 LawnSite Member

It all depends what the rates are in your given area.One guy might cut 100x100 for 20 another would say 35.Have a rate plan of your own.