Estimating Mulch

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by curber, Feb 9, 2008.

1. curber

curber LawnSite Member

How do you estimate areas for mulch that already have ground covering plants?

Thanks

2. ed2hess

ed2hess LawnSite Fanatic

In situations like that we estimate the number of bags and charge like $6 per bag. Then if it takes more it isn't too bad to adjust with customer.

3. Mimowerman

Mimowerman LawnSite Senior Member

that's a tough question to answer! I do most of my mulch jobs on just looking at the area to be done, and I can make a pretty accurate guess. How well covered is the area? If its minimally covered just use the normal formula L x W x (inches/12) . if its heavally covered, take a guess less than the amount figured with the formula.

4. bigclawn

bigclawn LawnSite Senior Member

With experience you will be able to eyeball most places and come up with a close figure--but in a pinch we calculate one yard per 100 sq feet if it's not naked ground--one yard per 75 sq ft if naked--it's not scientific but it's usually real close. We try putting teh customer 'in teh ballpark" but charge for actual amount used--even with management companies and rarely have any problems. At 65.00 per yard installed a little difference on way or another is insignificant.