1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Estimating Mulch

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by JeffNY, May 23, 2008.

1. JeffNY

JeffNY LawnSite Senior Member

When your giving someone a price on mulch, is it ok to say $xx/yard, and I think it will take approx XX yards, give or take a couple? Or should I give an exact price and deal with it later if im off?
  2. White Gardens

White Gardens LawnSite Fanatic

I always give them a ballpark figure. If it runs higher or lower they understand. You can't be exactly for sure how much mulch you'll actually use. It took me about 6 mulch jobs to be able to guesstimate within 1 yard.

Going rate around here is $80- $85 a yard put down. Sometimes I see a job that invoves a more "surgical placement" and bed prep that I just charge for each yard + hauling + labor.
  3. JNyz

JNyz LawnSite Bronze Member

If you consider yourself a professional you should be able to give a proposal and not an estimate. It will separate the men from the boys.
  4. Isobel

Isobel LawnSite Senior Member

An estimate is just that, sometimes you're spot on, sometimes you need a bit more. Bid a bit higher on the estimate, that way if you do need an extra yard, you're still making money, and the client won't know that you underestimated.

The whole, "separating the men from the boys thing," just because you can give a proposal and not an estimate, is just semantics, and BS.

I'm a professional, but sometimes my estimate is wrong. It doesn't happen often, but it does happen. ...and I'm not a man, or a boy. :laugh:
  5. mtnzone

mtnzone LawnSite Member

There are alot pro's Pros who give estimates.