Estimating mulching job

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by Turfrific, May 31, 2008.

1. Turfrific

Turfrific LawnSite Member

asked me to do there beds when i was mowing one day. told them today would be 150.00, ill buy the mulch and fert. the couple said they got it done last year for 70.00. going to go mow it. im thinking when i get there ill tell them $100.00 and grab some of this mulch from the ice storms we had. and tell them to buy fertilizer spikes. 2 plant beds, one is approx. 6x3 and the other is 12x3. what they want is 6 inches dirt taken up and the old mulch removed also a few small plants shorter then a foot taken out. need help i wouldn't go down on my estimate earlier, not sure if they will now thanks.
  2. merrimacmill

merrimacmill LawnSite Senior Member

6 inches of dirt? To dig all that out, 150 seems reasonable to me. Thats 54 square feet, roughly 1/2 a yard of mulch at 3" thick. I'm getting 90 a yard to spread, edge, and weed when doing mulch. But if the beds are really raised 6 inches and the entire beds need to be dug down 6 inches, then I would think $150 is reasonable. If its just mulch, then I would say less. Have to remember, you also may have dumping fees for all that dirt that will be removed. And if you don't aucully need to pay dumping fees.... you don't need to tell them that. Just be like "OH WELL dumping fees are so high these days, and blah blah blah." It makes it all seem like such a big process to them, they're just like oh well we will have him deal with it all. I've used this with good success quite a bit. Good Luck.
  3. Turfrific

Turfrific LawnSite Member

thanks alot, i told them i have to haul it off. not only that i think 3 inches is enough dirt to dig out so thats what i'll do if i have to go lower.