Estimating mulching

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Vandora Lawn & Landscape, Dec 19, 2000.

1. Vandora Lawn & Landscape

Vandora Lawn & Landscape LawnSite Senior Member

How do you guys estimate mulching? I know how to figure costs based on size, but I'm not sure how to estimate the size? Any special techniques?

2. MOW ED

MOW ED LawnSite Fanatic

3. Greenkeepers

Greenkeepers LawnSite Senior Member
    from NE Ohio

Get a wheel, like Ed said. I've tried them all and the wheel is the easiest and fastest way to go..

4. Scraper

Scraper LawnSite Bronze Member

And if you do buy a wheel make sure it has a large diameter whhel as it is more accurate and rolls easier.

5. Vandora Lawn & Landscape

I've got the wheel and have been making squares, just wanted to make sure I wasn't missing anything. Cool. MERRY CHRISTMAS EVERYONE!

6. powerreel

powerreel Banned

Does everyone figure 1 man hour per yard to spread?

7. Vandora Lawn & Landscape

I figure .75 man hour per yd. With two guys I can usually spread 3 yds per hour. If the site is hard to work on then its 1 man hour per yd.

8. chrisbolte

chrisbolte LawnSite Member

Our company does it different than many. We charge a flat rate per yard. This way we never take a beating. I would recommend to try that.

9. leeslawncare

leeslawncare LawnSite Senior Member

I charge 65 per yard .i get it for about 18 per yard so that leaves me with 47$ per yard.

10. cleancut

cleancut LawnSite Member

Some of you guys seem to make this mulch estimating to difficult..If you've been in the biz for a little while you should be able to just look at a job and estimate the amount of mulch..All of this measuring with a wheel just seems to me to be a waste of time..I've always been able to eyeball a job within a 1/2 yard of mulch..And that little bit extra can just be added to the beds..No big deal..I don't mean to bash any of your methods but it just seems like a little much..Clean-Cut