estimating question

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by clcare, Mar 10, 2004.

1. clcare

clcare LawnSite Member

does anyone price mowing by the sq. foot or do most of you look at the job?
  2. Lawn Dog2001

Lawn Dog2001 LawnSite Bronze Member

I depends how large the lot is. If I can determine by looking at the job aprox how large the lot is, than I do not measure. If I am in any way uncertain, than I do measure the lot. And yeah I do price by the square foot for the most part. But I do factor in variables.
  3. clcare

clcare LawnSite Member

just curious lawndog what kind of price/sq. foot I want to get set up so anyone can do quotes for the most part
  4. Lawn Dog2001

Lawn Dog2001 LawnSite Bronze Member

Well what I do is this(basicly).

If the lawn is mainly flat with minimal to average trimming than.

5000sqft $25
    10,000 $30
    up to 20,000sqft $35
    We do an acre for $55

This will not always work. You have to factor in all variables. Is there a bunch of hillsides that need trimmed? Is the property accesible, meaning is parking your truck and trailer going to be a PITA? Is the lawn loaded with steep hillsides to mow? You need to factor all of this in when you bid. But the #s I listed above are where I start. Some people will say those are low, and some will say Im high. So you need to determine what is best for you.

Hope that helped.
  5. Willis

Willis LawnSite Member

$20. stop fee plus $1 per K.
    Or to bag it, $20. stop fee and $2. per K,

Example: like Lawn dog,
    $1 x 5.000 + $20. stop fee = $25.

$1 x 10.000 + $20. stop fee = $30.

To bag it it would be $2 per K plus the $20. stop fee.
  6. CLS

CLS LawnSite Member

I see this formula a lot on here. I also see someone ask almost everytime whether or not this is taking into account the house and drive. Seams like it never gets answered. So do you guys that use this formula charge a $1/sq' for just the lawn sq' or do you charge by the entire lot size?

I'm thinking of using this formula for a referance in biding residential lots. So I would like to see this cleared up.

7. twins_lawn_care

twins_lawn_care LawnSite Senior Member

Hi CLS,
    I use a similar method to determine the price for the lawn. For me, I only include the area of the lawn itself, not the lot size. Also, the price I am giving takes into account drive time, as well as all other overhead costs I have. The pricing all takes that into account with the $1 per 1,000 sq ft. if it didn't, it would be more like $.50 per 1,000.
  8. Willis

Willis LawnSite Member

formula is for the turf only, and includes mow, trim, edge and blowing off debris.
    The ''$ per K'' gos up with the level of difficulty.
    For sub divisions its $5 per door, the $20. stop fee + the $ per K sf.
    Hope this helps.
  9. CLS

CLS LawnSite Member

What do you mean by 5$/door? I understand the stop fee and the $/sq'.

10. mklawnman

mklawnman LawnSite Senior Member

Still trying to figure estimating lawn mowing out but what has been working for me is just looking at it, although getting the square footage and comparing it to some of my other existing that I do and see if it is comparable.
    Also how much is their for trimming and blowing? Keep that in mind as well as drive time, especially with gas prices going threw the roof:eek: