1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Estimating Rip rap

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by EarthWorks, Aug 31, 2001.

1. EarthWorks

EarthWorks LawnSite Member

Anyone have a good formula for estimating quantity of rip rap to cover an area. Estimating a job for lining a pond bank with rip rap. never done this before. Should I estimate it just like regular rock? Also any Idea on amount of time on average to place a ton or a certain quantity. Plan on using a skid steer and manpower if possible.
  2. paul

paul Lawnsite Addict

What size rip rap are you using?
    hard to figure without knowing the size and type of rip rap
  3. EarthWorks

Good question. Didn't even think about rip rap coming in different sizes. Thought it was a mix of different sizes and you get what you get. Suppose I need to check and see what is available. Had in mind rocks being about the size of a basketball.
  4. Guido

Guido LawnSite Silver Member

for standard bank run "rip rap", 1 ton will cover 35 sq. ft. in one layer.

If you let us know the size we can help more.

BTW - Your quarry or plant that you will buy the material from will be glad to help and make sure you have more than enought, too! :)

Really, they can help if your in a jam.
  5. EarthWorks

Thanks, I will call in the morning to check on sizes.But any infor on time to spread this?
  6. Guido

What does the site look like?? I assume its a bank or slope, right?

How big is the area, how close can you get the machine, how many people are you using on the crew, etc.

If you give us some more details we can help you better. How exactly do youplan on utilizing the skid steer. Seems like most will have to be placed onced there dumped and spread some by the skid steer if it needs to be "pretty".
  7. paul

paul Lawnsite Addict

One hint I'll offer here is make sure you use a fabric under the stone. Also start it below the low water line, we like to start ours at 2' below low water. For ponds 3" stone works well, #5 rip rap is too big for smaller ponds.
  8. SpringValley

SpringValley LawnSite Member

Most installed rip rap that I have seen is place 100% by hand. Typically, they start at the bottom and stack as they go up. Fabric under the rock is a must. You can get it to your site with the skid loader but spreading it with the loader would seem to me to be next to impossible.

9. CT18fireman

CT18fireman LawnSite Senior Member

I use a mini x to spread it. I can get into about every site you can get to by foot. Once you are quick enough with it the work can move faster using machinery. Dump the load with the truck or skid steer and spread with the mini x.
  10. Guido

I'm with you on that! If it's big enough I'll use a thumb or grapple on the mini, but if not I can spread it with the bucket alone.

With a mini-x and a skid steer, your unstopable!! (I say that way too much, but its true!)