ESTIMATING RIVER ROCK

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by BRIAN GALLO, Apr 3, 2001.

1. BRIAN GALLO

BRIAN GALLO LawnSite Senior Member

Can anyone help me with some estimating? I am going to be doing a job where I need to place some river rocks (lucky stone shaped ones about the size of a baseball) in an area 4 feet by 50 feet, with shrubs spaced about 4 feet apart. I have no trouble estimating mulch, but I don't know any formulas for figuring the tonnage of rocks or stone for a given area. Any help would be appreciated.

Brian
    B's Lawn Service

2. Stonehenge

Stonehenge LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Midwest

Give a call to the place you're buying from. They'll probably have a chart all made up for you.

3. paul

paul Lawnsite Addict

150 lbs per cu ft

4. diginahole

diginahole LawnSite Member

?150 lbs per cu ft? Sounds a might heavy to me.

5. paul

paul Lawnsite Addict

no granite weights 180 lbs per cu ft, limestone weighs 165 lbs per cu ft

6. dan deutekom

dan deutekom LawnSite Senior Member

that would be for a solid cubic foot of rock
    river stone would weigh less because of all the air spaces between the individual stones
    if the air space is 30% then the weight would be 30% less?

7. paul

paul Lawnsite Addict

yes about that, we use 150 lbs per cu ft for estimating.

8. John Allin

John Allin LawnSite Bronze Member

For estimating purposes, you're better off using Paul's number. That way if you get to the job and the "depth" is abit off you don't get stung trying to pry more money out of the owner or contractor.

9. diginahole

diginahole LawnSite Member

We buy river stone by the yard here. I was thinking of the bagged stuff being about a cu ft and I would have a bit of trouble lifting that ino the back of the truck. Maybe the bags are smaller than a cu ft?

10. smburgess

smburgess LawnSite Senior Member

I was at the store last week and bought river rock by the bag, 1 cubic foot bags, 50 pounds each.