estimating sprinklers

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by Bryan McMullen, Jan 15, 2001.

1. Bryan McMullen

Bryan McMullen LawnSite Member

I had seen you guys had talked a little on sprinklers before and was wondering if anybody had any more info on estimating.I had some people wanting it done last year but I did not offer the service.THANKS BRYAN

2. jay

jay LawnSite Member

Draw your plans first then figure up your needs without any plans you won't be able to get a accurate estimate. Charge for the plans and tell them youll add it in the job if they want to do it.

3. Bryan McMullen

Bryan McMullen LawnSite Member

jay I got some plans drew up and theire were 13 stations due to low water pressure.

4. bob

bob LawnSite Platinum Member
    from DE

Too bad Chuck got rid of the Irrigation Forum!

5. rawrod

rawrod LawnSite Member

You have to know the water supply. GPH is easy to figure out

6. jkinchla

jkinchla LawnSite Member
    from MA

I'd like to learn more about irrigation, would anybody out there like to provide a tutorial like larry stone gave for estimating? I think there are a lot of people out there who would like to get a better knowledge of irrigation systems, so that they can at least talk knowledgeably with their customers about it. I know it would help me a lot....thanks.

7. Island Lawn

Island Lawn LawnSite Senior Member

For some reason I cant seem to paste the url, so I'll do it manually
    http://jessstryker.com/index.html

I got this from grassmaster's extensive site
    lawnsevicing.com
    I haven't tried it, I just remembered seeing it.
    If you try it (or whatever), be sure to let us know how it goes.

8. tiffany

tiffany LawnSite Member

I usually do about 1-2 irrigation estimates a week, and I have just started doing it about three months ago. Before that, I knew NOTHING about irrigation. The best way that I found to learn more about it was to go see some working systems. Another really helpful tip for me was to talk to a system/parts provider. We use mainly Toro and Rainbird, and the people we get the parts from are always helpful and full of answers. After all, the better I know their products, the more jobs I sell, the better profits for both of us. Once you see a few systems working and understand the basics, the rest comes pretty easily.

9. jay

jay LawnSite Member

What was your pressure, what size lines did you use how many feet were the lines ran from your values. In my area usly small residents you don't need to worry about pressure most mostly GPM Gallons per minute through your lines. This is why you draw up your plans first to figure all this out before you install your system. Toro has a pretty good book out that I found at the irrigation supply stores in my area, also I learned alot from my local JC. You need to size your lines and values properly to get the correct flow to your heads. For instance a 12 series 30 degress 12 foot full spray nozzle at 25 psi uses 2.4 gpm which means you can only run 3 of them on a 3/4" schedule 40 pvc line.

Call Toro at 1-800-367-8676 or go to Toro.com and tell them you are looking for a company to buy products from that is willing to help you learn the ropes.