ET Hermit Crab

Discussion in 'Irrigation' started by Tony Clifton, Jan 11, 2012.

1. Tony Clifton

Tony Clifton LawnSite Senior Member

I haven't been on the board lately (if any of you even remember me) but I have been interested in the ET Hermit Crab since I heard about it last spring. I wanted to give it some time before I offered it to my customers so now that some of you have had it installed for a season I wanted to gather your thoughts. How has it performed, is the flow sensing capability available yet, etc. Thanks!

2. jvanvliet

jvanvliet LawnSite Gold Member

Why don't you give us a link, or tell us what it is in case some of us may not know what it is and could be interested.

3. Tony Clifton

http://www.etwater.com/public/hermitcrab/index.html

To sum it up, it will turn conventional controllers into smart controllers by mounting a small "module" that communicates with a satellite to gather weather data. You can also access the controller through a PC, and use your smart phone as a remote control. One of the things I liked and was told it can do but do not think is available was that it had flow sensing capabilities where if you had a break it would shut down the system and send you an email to let you know (I thought this would make it an easy sale for the customer). That's pretty much it in a nutshell.

4. Sprinkus

Sprinkus LawnSite Silver Member

We're waiting for the first guinea pig to report back.
    I'll do the same for the idd, if I can ever get it to work.

5. Kiril

Kiril LawnSite Fanatic

I don't know what controller you are looking at, but this add-on doesn't communicate with satellites. It communicates with the etwater servers which sets the controller program using local weather data (probably NOAA). There are numerous drawbacks to this and personally I wouldn't touch it with a 10 foot poll.

6. Kiril

Kiril LawnSite Fanatic

Different pitch .... same drawbacks .... and smacks of that POS RB ET Mananger.

7. Tony Clifton

My bad, not sure why I said satellites, it's basically a wireless internet card right? I'm not a tech guru but how does it get the signal, radio tower?

8. Kiril

Kiril LawnSite Fanatic

It works like a cell phone.

9. Tony Clifton

Okay, so was I not correct the first time when I said it communicated with Satellites. (connects with the server via Satellite, right?)

10. Kiril

Kiril LawnSite Fanatic

cellular communication .... i.e. cell towers. Not the same as a satellite phone.

This is a cell phone tower.

[​IMG]