Ethanol in our gasoline

Discussion in 'Alternative Fuel Forum' started by ericmcj31, Aug 31, 2008.

1. bare spot

bare spot LawnSite Bronze Member

got my attention to cause think saw something like this happen. was at a dealer when another guy was picking up a mower being serviced, brand new. anyway guy at the counter handed him a small jar of water drained from his tank.

2. Kennedy Landscaping

Kennedy Landscaping LawnSite Fanatic

I run ethanol in the truck and have been starting to use it in the mowers. No problems yet. Knock on wood.

3. Kennedy Landscaping

Kennedy Landscaping LawnSite Fanatic

no joke!......

4. LBLC_LCO

LBLC_LCO LawnSite Senior Member

Are you talking like straight E85 you are running in your truck??

5. AI Inc

AI Inc LawnSite Fanatic

Ive had problems with it in my boat and my bike.
    Do a search , there are several threads here about ethenol.

6. dishboy

dishboy LawnSite Platinum Member
    from zone 6

My trimmer and blower started acting up when hot outside when the station I get gas from went to 10 %. Trimmer lost power upside down, blower would miss and hesitate. Switched to Costco , no ethanol , problem resolved. Pretty conclusive evidence IMO. Know a Ford Fuel Engineer , She claims Ethanol may not mix with some 2 cycle oils. We need to start ragging on Washington about this.

7. ericmcj31

ericmcj31 LawnSite Senior Member

no kidding, dishboy! THis is freakin' rediculous (~spelling); just what is the advantage to putting ethanol in gas-enviromentally better or something?

8. bladewrangler

bladewrangler LawnSite Member

I heard a rumor that Superunleaded didn't have ethanol in it - anyone else heard that? I had to replace carburetor on my Kohler 23 earlier in the summer because of "crap in the gas"

9. mowingmachine

mowingmachine LawnSite Senior Member

We have been using ethanol for the past 7-8 years with very few problems. As long as your equipment is built for it you will be fine. On older cars it can be a problem. All small engines for at least the last 10 years and probably even longer have been built for it. I run 10% ethanol in my mowers, trimmer, blower, chain saw, truck, car, snowmobile, dirtbike, street bike etc... without any problem at all. That is both 4-stroke and 2-stroke engines.

As far as the water issue, it actually prevents fuel line freeze-ups because ethanol absorbs the water and lets it pass through. If you add the appropriate amount of alcohol to gas there will be no evidence of water in the fuel.

10. ericmcj31

ericmcj31 LawnSite Senior Member

why, then, are some of us having trouble and others not?? I assume for the most part, all of us use the same kind of equipment! I mean it just doesn' tmake sense that one guy 's stuff runs GREAT and another guy's screwing up all the time with water in its tank!? WTF?