Ethanol in our gasoline

Discussion in 'Alternative Fuel Forum' started by ericmcj31, Aug 31, 2008.

1. mowingmachine

mowingmachine LawnSite Senior Member

The water in your fuel has nothing to do with ethanol. In one of the earlier posts it sounded like you guys were saying that ethanol adds water to the fuel. A certain amount of ethanol with displace a certain amount of water. You can actually remove water from the gas by adding ethanol. That is exactly how the product Heet works. The fact that there is water in your fuel means that somebody added it along the way.

With my 2-stoke snowmobile I prefer ethanol fuel because I don't have to worry about fuel line freeze-ups. And for the previous post that said that 2-stoke oil won't mix with ethanol. WHAT????? I run multiple 2-stoke engines on several different brands and types of 2-stoke oil and have never heard about such a problem. Keep in mind we only have ethanol fuel available in our area and it has been for about 7-8 years now. I can tell you from experience that it isn't that problem that you guys are so scared of.

2. equip4u

equip4u LawnSite Member
    from pa

Since ethanol fuel has come into existence our shop has had a MAJOR amount of fuel related problems!

3. Kennedy Landscaping

Kennedy Landscaping LawnSite Fanatic

No, I do not run straight E-85, don't think my truck would run on that anyways. I only run 10% Ethanol in my gasoline.

4. DA Quality Lawn & YS

DA Quality Lawn & YS LawnSite Fanatic

Since petroleum came into existence, our country has had MAJOR fuel related problems.

5. LBLC_LCO

LBLC_LCO LawnSite Senior Member

Thats what I thought, had to check though.

6. green monster

green monster LawnSite Member

Any gas with more than 10% ethanol in the gas will burn up most 2 cycle engines and will void your warranty. The gas (with a tiny bit of oil, 50:1) is the lubricant in a 2 cycle engine. Check with your dealer for the equipment you have. They will know.

7. Trees Too

Trees Too LawnSite Silver Member

The use of ethanol in gasoline continues to be bad news for the lawn care industry. (As it eats-up the plastic & rubber in carbs.) Now I hear that they may increase the % used in gas. I have be told that the only good alternative is Recreation Fuel. But its much more expensive and hard to find. What is a recommended type of ethanol additive to add to gasoline?

8. CorkyE

CorkyE LawnSite Member

Wow - thread is 5 years old... :)

9. Bumpmaster

Bumpmaster LawnSite Fanatic

Stahl makes some good products.

10. Trees Too

Trees Too LawnSite Silver Member

Thanks....My concern in reviving this ethanol discussion, stems from talk that the max % could be increased from 10% to 15%.

In the meantime I found a good product made by KINETIC LABS called "k100-MG"

Check out www.k100fueltreatment.com