ethanol mixes

Discussion in 'Alternative Fuel Forum' started by badluck, Jan 23, 2008.

1. badluck

badluck LawnSite Member

our state has mandated(forced) us to use 10% ethanol in all gasoline. will this hurt our chainsaws and other 2 cycle engines or will oil mix properly with this formulated gasoline?
  2. Scagguy

Scagguy LawnSite Bronze Member

Chances are that you have been using it anyway. I know we are down here. Hasn't messed up my stuff. Not yet.
  3. AmsoilPower

AmsoilPower LawnSite Senior Member

2-cycles will run hotter with the 10%. Greater chance of a seized piston. This is where the better synthetic oils will shine (Amsoil for example):clapping:

It will also eat up fuel lines quicker and draws moisture in the fuel can, especially in the hot months. Don't let it sit around too long.
  4. bill8379

bill8379 LawnSite Senior Member

My dealer told me to use premium gas in the snow blowers, at least around here, I guess premium gas has no ethanol. He said that eats up gas lines.
  5. TNT Lawncare

TNT Lawncare LawnSite Senior Member

You are supposed to use premium gas in all 2 cycle equipment.
  6. MONTE

MONTE LawnSite Senior Member

I was at a dealership last week that had a pallet full of chainsaws burnt up from this fuel! It is a problem!
  7. tb8100

tb8100 LawnSite Bronze Member
    from TX

it is bunk. I don't know first hand the effects on 2 cycles as there isn't much ethanol gas around here, but I know this much- my truck gets 25-30% less gas mileage with this crap and has noticeably less power. Look around for a gas station without it if you can....
  8. Littleriver1

Littleriver1 LawnSite Senior Member

Some times you have to really think hard about the advice you get in life. Then other times you don't have to think about it at all. What brand of chainsaw was that again, MONTE?
  9. mverick

mverick LawnSite Senior Member

Had it here for around the last 10 years.

Your mileage will suffer. My truck 350 vortech gets 350 on a tank. With this fuel it gets 310.

Ran 2 strokes on it and no problems.
  10. DA Quality Lawn & YS

DA Quality Lawn & YS LawnSite Fanatic

Here in MN (and being in the Corn Belt) - we are mandated 10% ethanol in all blends. Ran 2 cycle trimmer and blower all last season regular grade gasohol with no problems.
    Ethanol is not a final solution, but it is definitely not a problem being a homegrown fuel source. Its a start...Better than supporting big oil and the overseas conundrum.