1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Ethanol vent

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by mowerman90, Jan 30, 2012.

1. mowerman90

mowerman90 LawnSite Bronze Member

I just got an email from Husqvarna asking me to take the "Ethanol Challenge". Some sort of contest where you win equipment tied with educational videos of things you should know about Ethanol and how it isn't good for hand held equipment. I agree it's not good for our handhelds. I've had more than one fuel line deteriorate from using gas with ethanol. But, here's my gripe, instead of all the handheld manufacturers whining and blaming all their woes on Ethanol Gas why don't they make their equipment with Ethanol resistant parts? Apparently cars don't have this problem, at least not to the extent that handhelds do.
    I mean, ethanol has been around for almost 3 decades. I remember trying some in our families 79 Plymouth. If I had to guess, I'd say that it's here to stay, like it or not, so why not adjust to it and make your equipment compatible with it?
  2. Valk

Valk LawnSite Silver Member

Instead of waiting for your manufacturer to do something, be proactive.
    GO ETHANOL~FREE! If you can...

Lower octane regular unleaded fuel seems to run fine in my mowers...and midgrade or premium grade for my mixed gas. Voila! No more ethanol issues.
  3. mowerman90

mowerman90 LawnSite Bronze Member

That's a great idea VALK but I'm not going to drive 10 miles off of my route to buy non-ethanol gas. Time is money.
  4. orangemower

orangemower LawnSite Silver Member
    from pa

That would be great if there was a place I could drive to without burning a tank of gas to get there.
  5. Valk

Valk LawnSite Silver Member

Plan ahead to fix your equipment due to ethanol issues...or, buy in bulk somehow. Just an idea...
  6. supercuts

supercuts LawnSite Silver Member

a friend had a 69' GTO sitting in his garage wth a full tank of leaded gas since 1980 and didnt know how to get rid of the gas. i took it, dumped a tiny bit out, tried lighting it on fire......sure enough it lit. my dumb a$$ took 20 gallons of perfect fuel and dumped it through the mowers in a few days. i should have saved it for handhelds
  7. Richard Martin

Richard Martin LawnSite Fanatic

It really isn't as simple as making them with Ethanol resisitant parts. Most of the problems that everyone has is with the rubber fuel lines. Believe it or not, most of them already are resistant to a degree. Automobiles don't have these problems because they don't operate in a 360° 3-D enviroment. All of the fuel lines, including those inside the tank can be made of vinyl or steel. With trimmers, edgers and hedge trimmers you can't do that. The fuel pickup has to be able to move all over the tank if you want to operate it. The only way to do that cheaply is to make the pickup tube out of rubber hose.

Mowers can be made with either steel or vinyl fuel lines. I'm switching all of my mowers over to vinyl as the time comes to replace the rubber hoses. The vinyl is good for 20+ years.
  8. weeze

weeze LawnSite Fanatic

i've been using ethanol gas in all my stuff and never had any issues. my honda trimmer is almost 8years old and i even used 87 octane in it the whole time. nothing wrong with the fuel lines at all. in my mix for my blower i use 89 octane because that's what stihl says to use. i always use 87 octane in my truck, mowers, and trimmer.
  9. DA Quality Lawn & YS

DA Quality Lawn & YS LawnSite Fanatic

If Husky keeps acting like that, they will get left in the dust real fast.
  10. ralph02813

ralph02813 LawnSite Bronze Member
    Male, from Charlestown, RI

hmm, I use 87 in everything, and have not had any troubles with anything.