Ether In Deisels

Discussion in 'Heavy Equipment & Pavement' started by REVPRO, May 6, 2005.

1. REVPRO

REVPRO LawnSite Member

I Know It Is A Bad Idea To Use Ether In Deisels, I Was Just Wondering Why Some Machines Come With A Factory Set Up Ether Shot System. One Of My Buddys Insist's That Once You Start Using Ether On A Machine It Will Always Want It To Start No Matter The Temp. Just Looking For Some Other Opinions As, I Still Have Trouble Starting My Asv, And Ether Seems To Be My Last Option.

2. jd270

jd270 LawnSite Member

it dosent hurt if the motor was designed for it but you shouldnt use it with glowplugs or heating grids

3. SOMM

SOMM LawnSite Senior Member

for true jd

4. REVPRO

REVPRO LawnSite Member

Does It Ruin The Glow Plugs?

5. jd270

jd270 LawnSite Member

the either will explode before compression

6. fixer67

fixer67 LawnSite Silver Member

You buddy is right. Ether will turn even a brand new engine into a "dope addict" Check the voltage at the glow plugs. A bad connection or bad relay can cause the glow plugs not to heat up right. Most glow plug dash lights work off a time delay and that delay may not be long enough with a bad connection. Try holding the power to the glow plugs a little bit after the light goes out. One or more of the glow plugs may be bad and not heating up right or at all.

7. UNISCAPER

UNISCAPER LawnSite Bronze Member

Our company policy is if an engine won't start on it's own (no juice) we down it and find out what is wrong....

8. Mowingman

Mowingman LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Texas

Yes, as diesel can certainly get addicted to either. Any diesel should crank right up if everything is working properly.
    I used to run a fleet of old worn out tractor trailer trucks that were really hard to get started. We used to say if you just wave the can of either in front of the headlights so the truck could see it, and think they were going to get a shot, they would start. You really did not have to spray any in the air intake.
    I would use either only in an emergency as a last resort.

9. ksss

ksss LawnSite Fanatic

Can any explain the mechanics of how a diesel engine gets "addicted" to ether? I have never heard of it, nor do I believe it. I have never owned automobile that ran on gas and have been owning diesels since I was a kid. I have never known a diesel to get addicted to anything. If its cold outside we use ether as needed. I have never had a diesel that refused to start without it. Assuming of course its running right.

10. REVPRO

REVPRO LawnSite Member

Fixer 67 Your Right After, A Little Further Investigation The Contact In The Ignition Key Is Getting Bad And Not Allowing Full Voltage To Pass Thru. I Too Would Like To Know How A Desiel Becomes Addicted To Ether. I Have To Beleive My Buddy As He Was A Cummins Mechanic For Along Time.