1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Ethical question, please vote

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by KenH, Apr 5, 2003.

Ethical question: Would you take on this application account?

1. Yes

14 vote(s)
  2. No

40 vote(s)
  3. Other/Please explain

3 vote(s)
  1. KenH

KenH LawnSite Bronze Member
    from CT

My town is planning on installing 2 athletic fields in a 144 acre park. This park is loaded with wetlands, which eventually drain into 2 resevoirs. The fields have point source drainage where the water is funnelled into wetlands. There is no offsite runoff, which means all the water will eventually find its way to the lakes. Would you, as a professional applicator feel comfortable maintaining these fields (fertilizers, pesticides) under these circumstances?? Mind you, this is a very controversial project and water quality will be frequently tested. I believe the fine for chem. pollution in Ct is 12 to 15K per occurrence.
  2. philk17088

philk17088 LawnSite Fanatic

I'd do it, with the understanding that these fields are not going to look like Wrigley field. You can applicate safely and you won't have a problem. If the fields are installed right there shouldn't be a need for alot of fert/pesticide use. IPM would be a must and they would pay thoroughly for it. If they don't want to follow your plan, walk.payup
  3. KenH

from CT

The maintenance plan was outlined by the engineer, no IPM. (budget restraints) Also the fields will be heavily used, so I have a feeling they will require high maintenance.

The problem lies within the fact no one involved in the project knows what is invloved in maintaining athletic fields. They really do not belong this close to wetlands IMO. Its kind of a catch 22.
  4. fblandscape

fblandscape Banned

If they won't go IPM, walk. Either that, or try your best to sell them on IPM. It is not only in your best interest as a business, but also as a human being who walks on the earth.
  5. KirbysLawn

KirbysLawn Millenium Member

You could plant crabgrass fields....

Getting the needed results with the stated restrictions will be tough.
  6. KenH

from CT

121 Views and only 18 votes!! I know you guys are more opinionated than that:D :D :D Im actually going to take this poll in front of the board at the next meeting, April 16, so your help would be much appreciated....
  7. HBFOXJr

HBFOXJr LawnSite Bronze Member

You are either making an assumption that properly applied products to the fields will migrate fronm point A to point B OR you know that there is a defect in the site design. Which case is it?

There have been many studies done in the past by various universities about leaching and runoff. Much of what is worried about is not supported by research results. Much of this research was done in the 80's and early 90's after the environmental scares of the 70's because of Rachael Carsons "Silent Spring".

By all means I don't want anyone to think I'm gung ho pesticides. However I'm not afraid to use them if actually needed and in a responsible manor according to label directions on places, methods, dosages etc..

IPM does not need to be expensive. Although I don't sell an IPM program, it is what I practice in a modified sense. That means no grub control or disease control unless a problem is diagnosed and a pesticide solution is warranted. I do use 1 annual blanket app of broadleaf control on many lawns and 1 of pre-emergent on all lawns. We watch for problems at application visits and with each application advise the client what to watch for at that particular time of the year. We ask them to notify us at the first sign of anything abnormal so we may investigate or et more details over the phone before coming out.
  8. KenH

from CT

According to the local Cooperative Extension, 12% of properly applied chemicals/ferts are carried off in runoff off of 1 athletic field. Multiply this by 2 for this site---2 fields. Over time, what will this do to the lakes?? If these fields were not in wetlands, the problem is solved. This is not the case though.

There is not a flaw in the design...its just a matter of what to do with all the runoff. They have no other choice but to dump it into wetlands. I forgot to mention there is a 20% slope average from the fields to the lakes, with wetlands in between. The fields are about 300' away from the water bodies..
  9. lawnstudent

lawnstudent LawnSite Senior Member

I've seen published studies by the universities that show that pesticides applied to turf are seldom leached or lost in rain water runoff, but those studies where on healthy stands of turf. Public native soil athletic fields take a beating and are seldom maintained at a level that results in a consistently healthy, dense stand of turf. I think runoff is a very real possibility from this site. The only way that I would take on this job is if the athletic fields are separated from the lakes by a green belt that is either a dense, healthy stand of turf or native prairie that can act as a buffer for any runoff generated form those athletic fields. This green belt must also be protected from public use or damage (compaction, etc.) and be of sufficient width to prevent runoff from reaching the lakes. Good luck.

10. If you have any doubt don't do it.

However I am with Foxy.

You won't beable to change how the uneducated think so......only you can answer for yourself.