Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Hovey's Lawn Care, Jul 17, 2006.

1. Hovey's Lawn Care

Hovey's Lawn Care LawnSite Member

I found this ad from some company in my area.

I will save you $5.00 on each lawn cutting. Professional equipment, on-time service and friendly workers. For example I use a gas edger, not a string trimmer, to create a great edge. Here is how my program works:

I will charge you $5.00 less per cut than your current service - just show me a recent invoice. Also, your last cut of the season is free as a thank you for your business. I also offer pre-paid discounts for a full season of cuts.

Going on vacation and need a one or two time cut so the bad guys don't know you are away by your long grass? I will be happy to help out and even try to schedule it so I can set your trash at the curb on collection day. How's that for service?
  2. Hovey's Lawn Care

I realize we have tons of competion in our business, but some guys just crack me up. How ******** is it to basicly steal from other lco's? Apparently this guy is desparate for work and is willing to cut the next guys throat.
  3. newz7151

newz7151 LawnSite Silver Member
    from Tejas

Hey, there's a Wal-Mart mentality in every business.
  4. J&R Landscaping

J&R Landscaping LawnSite Fanatic

If hes advertising that ad in the paper, he must be making some money because the newspaper advertisments aint cheap!
  5. Precision

Precision LawnSite Silver Member

not really. That just means he temporarily has more money than brains.

and to the original poster. No, I don't think it has anything to do with ethics. But it certainly isn't smart, good business, or a long lived business plan. He will soon come to realize that most people who are serious price only shoppers are already paying below cost per mow to some fool who has no idea of his costs. Now this turd polisher just underbid by $5. BRILLIANT
  6. Hovey's Lawn Care

Exactly Precision. I understand the whole competition thing, but this just sounds raunchy. I think this kind of thing all comes to he may just have to underbid a lowballer which in turn is a vicious cycle for us guys out there trying to get ahead. I wish all the best and hope their business survives. There is enough out there for us all I hope. But these kind of guys has no regard those in his field.
  7. Charles

Charles Moderator Staff Member

I see cut for less ad's all the time and discounts. Some even name their companies to aim toward stealing business from other LCO's. Nothing new and no way to stop it. No "Board Of Ethics" in Lawncare:rolleyes:
  8. Hovey's Lawn Care

Lol, don't leave equipment unattended. They may resort to vandelism next!
  9. wherebluegrassgrows

wherebluegrassgrows LawnSite Member

Some day people will realize you get what you pay for. This spring I got an ad from one of my clients. "lawns cut for $19" This guy also stated he was tired of other lco's taking advantage of his neighbors. My neighborhood too!
    To make a long story shorter he cuts the lawn three doors down from my house. Every week he manages to make it look a little worse. I truly don't see how ( same mowers my company uses). It takes more than equipment to make a job look good. $19, I'd ask for my money back its not even worth that!
  10. Albemarle Lawn

Albemarle Lawn LawnSite Bronze Member

SO you gererate a bogus invoice, $20, for your own house.

Then, see if that parasite will cut your grass for $15.

Bet he won't.

What he is probably hoping is to go $5 less than really high prices, and turn the rest away.

Who knows maybe he's a good guy who has medical bills or a sick child to pay for. If so, god speed to him. But the economy has no feelings and regardless of his reasons, his strategy will flop.

"Bottom pickeres become cotton pickers"
    "The cream will rise to the top and the crud will settle to the bottom"

I can think of several catchy phrases about what happens to business people who can't think for themselves.:hammerhead: