Ethical?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by cward, Feb 22, 2005.

1. cward

cward LawnSite Member

I submitted a bid on a very nice property two weeks ago. Yesterday, I received a phone call from the property manager asking me to lower my price a hole $5 per mow to beat the other bidder. Mind you, the estimate was for $305 per week. I said no. However, I did offer her the price with a 3 year contract and she accepted. I think I stayed within the bounds of ethics and morality...didn't I?

2. Soupy

Soupy LawnSite Gold Member

Sometimes there is a very fine line between what is or is not ethical. You didn't purposely go ask to see any bids and low. She called you and proposed that if you lower your price (she then decided to give you reason as to why) you would get the job. You decided that with a 3 year contract it would be worth it, so you accepted.

Nothing unethical about that. But I'm curious as to why she wanted to hire you over the other guy? Shouldn't those reason demand the extra cost? I personally wouldn't play that game, but it has nothing to do with ethics.

IMHO this lady just through up a big red flag. I hope your 3 year contract has an out for you.

3. Soupy

Soupy LawnSite Gold Member

Also, does your contract state a % increase each year? If not, you just did her a favor by offering her the price she wanted for 3 years. Don't be fooled, these people Know what they are doing. They didn't become property manager because of their friendly smile :)

4. cward

cward LawnSite Member

This lady is the director of a very nice retirement center. To her boss', the bottom dollar bid wins. The other bidder is probably the largest LCO in Wichita. She didn't like their attitude. Low bid was the only way for her to "fire" the other company. My contract explicitely spells everything out. I don't thing she is a PITA. We'll see.

5. cward

cward LawnSite Member

Soupy,
    On my 2nd and 3rd year, I added a 1.75% increase. All in all, I'm happy. Once I start mowing, she'll be happy.

6. MMLawn

MMLawn LawnSite Gold Member

I agree with Soupy bigtime on this. I don't think your ethics are in play at all as you did what you thought was right. But I believe hers are in question big time, esp given your next response that she "didn't like the other companies attitude". Sounds like one that will be hard to please and drop you ASAP if your price gets undercut, even with a contract. Good luck.

7. chevyman1

chevyman1 LawnSite Senior Member

Are you kidding me? Do you own a lawn company or are you a social worker? you actually had a dilemma over $5??!?!!! If they are nice enough to call you and TELL you that is what will win the bid, you do it as long as it's still profitable for you. All that means is you were winning all of the criteria, and the final sign off guy needed one more piece of information to win his vote too. She went to bat for you by being so nice. It boggles my mind how many people are worried about a little price competiveness. Undercutting on purpose or being a scrub is one thing, but you are legit and are being smart for your company. It's called business and sales my friend, keep doing it. Oh and you better ad a 60 inch ZTR, then you can cut that time in half!

8. theturfsurfer

theturfsurfer LawnSite Member
    from mtka,MN

I am having trouble finding anything ethically wrong with either party. The property manager sounds like she wants to work with you but her boss, who probably doesn't deal with the hired help, only cares about the price.She is the one who has to and felt better with you. If you feel the contract will be honored then I think both sides win.

9. rodfather

rodfather LawnSite Fanatic

5 bucks? Give me a break...I don't leave tips that small. BTW, nothing unethical on your part...congrats

10. cward

cward LawnSite Member

Chevy,
    I didn't have a dilema over $5. However, when she devulged his bid what was I to do. If I out bid someone or get outbid by someone, that's just business. Moreover, I will not "sell-out" for $5 or $500, period. I stuck to my original price and offered her an increased price for 3 years with a contract. To her and her boss, I would sure think that would look better than giving in and showing no character. By the way, a nice little 60" Lazer will be on my trailer next month.