Ethics in sub work

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by bushtrimmer, Aug 5, 2005.

1. bushtrimmer

bushtrimmer LawnSite Senior Member

I'm not sure what to do about this one.
    I do some sub work for a competitor in the next county that doesn't "want to do work in my county." A couple of their customers have asked me to bid directly to them for this winter and next year. I do not have a non-compete clause with the general contractor and don't know their true intentions for my county, they may just be building business to open another location.
    They really aren't a big customer but do have the potential to be. Do I bid as asked? Do I ask the general contractor to sign a non compete with me as far as actually doing the labor?
    Any other options?

2. Brianslawn

Brianslawn LawnSite Silver Member

if you sign a non-compete, do it on a year to year basis and have them guarantee you X # of lawns each week. otherwise bid them for yourself.
    my 2 cents

3. SHOWCASE LAWNS LLC

SHOWCASE LAWNS LLC LawnSite Member

FIRST OF ALL GET A WRITTEN LETTER TO THAT EFFECT FROM THE GUY YOU SUB FOR IN THE OTHER COUNTY. DO YOU GET ALL OF THE GUYS SUB WORK ? DOES HE PAY N TIME ? DOES HE BID AGAINST YOU EVER ? IS HE A FRIEND OR IS IT JUST BUSINESS? IF NOT THERES NO PROBLEM , BID THE WORK. EVERY TIME I HAVE SHOWN AN OUTRIGHT LOYALTY TO ANOTHER CO IN THIS BIZ I HAVE GOTTEN F****D . AND I SAY THAT NICELY :rolleyes: MULTIPLE TIMES THE DIFFERENT COS I DEAL WITH BID THE SAME JOB......ALL I DO IS BID THE SUB WORK EXACTLY THE SAME AND I NEVER SHY AWAY FROM TELLING THE OTHER COMPANIES THAT IF ASKED. TOTAL HONESTY CAN BE A BIZATCH BUT I HAVE NEVER LOST OUT BY TELLING IT LIKE IT IS. IN THIS BIZ WHEN YOU ACT LIKE A NICE GUY AND DONT TAKE WHAT IS YOURS THEN PEOPLE ASSUME YOU ARE A PUSHOVER AND WILL SCREW YOU OVER IN A FLASH. THE ONLY PROMISE I MAKE IS THAT I WONT EVER DIRECTLY GO AFTER ONE OF MY GCs JOBS AND THAT ALL QUESTIONS/BILLING AND OTHER ISSUES ARE DIRECTED TO HIM. IF THE GC DOESNT PAY HIS BILL THEN ALL BETS ARE OFF AS I DONT HAVE A HOLD HARMLESS CONTRACT WITH ANYONE. AT THAT POINT I GO DIRECTLY TO MR PROPERTY OWNER FOR THE MONEY AND LET THE GC SAVE HIS OWN AZZ.

4. bushtrimmer

bushtrimmer LawnSite Senior Member

I think what I was talking about with a non compete, was for the general contractor to sign that they would not do work in my county.

5. olderthandirt

olderthandirt LawnSite Platinum Member
    from here

TURN THE CAP BUTTON OFF

6. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

I was going to say...nice post,..but I didn't even read it. I, as well as many others, don't bother...it isn't worth the trouble to see.