Ethics & Marketing

Discussion in 'Business Operations' started by Wittapp, Oct 20, 2008.

1. Wittapp

Wittapp LawnSite Member

Most of my marketing/advertising is target. IE, I drive the areas I want to work and look for homes that are in need of service and leave them a flyer or sometimes even a quote.

My question is this; What is your opinion of targeting peoperties that you know are being seviced by another LCO? I have mixed feeling about this. On one hand, if the LCO is doing a good job at a fair price, the customer will stay, so no problem. On the other hand, I don't feel too good about trying to "take food out someones mouth".

I know that there are a lot of fly by night guys around here and am thinking that I may be able to pick up some customers by targeting properties that I know have been mowed by LCOs. Any thought?

2. DUSTYCEDAR

DUSTYCEDAR LawnSite Fanatic
    from PA

Ah what? Market to all

3. Wittapp

Wittapp LawnSite Member

After having owned a successful business for the last 20 years or so, that statement makes no sense to me. Why would I want to market my service to someone who does not want or need it. Time and money are better spent marketing to those who will use your product/service.

4. Woody82986

Woody82986 LawnSite Silver Member
    from DFW, TX

I personally have no problem letting homeowners know about my company who have LCO's that do crappy work and are unreliable and it shows. That being said, there are many companies in the area that I see out that do great work and I wouldn't ever specifically target those homeowners for work. If they call me out of the blue however, that's a different story.

5. Turboguy

Turboguy LawnSite Bronze Member

Personally, I don't see anything wrong with it. You are letting them know about your services. If they are happy with what they have they will stay. If not you may help them to get better service.

If you were planning to go see them with the idea of quoting cheap prices to undercut the competion I might feel different but giving someone options is never a bad thing.

6. kaferhaus

kaferhaus LawnSite Bronze Member

I target selected high end neighborhoods (however I mostly do commercial work). I couldn't care less if they already use another LCO.

It's just business don't ya know?

I never assume a potential client is "happy". I know I can do a better job that whoever they're using now. And that doesn't mean cheaper either. I have my pricing structure and I stick too it.

I won't "low ball" any account period.

7. Green Finger

Green Finger LawnSite Senior Member

Personally and business wise I don't covet other LCO's properties. I'm young but i was taught the business from guy of a different era.

If another LCO is cutting next to me I'll introduce myself and I'll cut my butt off. EVERYTHING IS TIGHT . I don't volunteer personal information... how much a cut etc.

If I advertise through a mailer it goes to whoever and everyone but I wouldn't comment on another man's work. (bad mouthing)

Enough yards for everyone out there.

8. tinman

tinman LawnSite Bronze Member
    from ga

No one belongs to another LCO. I wouldn't do it while the LCO is on the property just because as it is rude. But you shouls advertise especially to likely clients

9. Chris.B

Chris.B LawnSite Member

I can't see a problem with it. People pay us to make their gardens look good and if you think the garden needs attention then it needs attention, maybe you're the guy they need to do it.

10. sweetz

sweetz LawnSite Bronze Member

This is business. I know for a fact that other lco's are marketing to my customers. If they feel that I'm doing a good job, they'll stay, if not, they'll leave. More power to them. Don't bad mouth another company, that looks bad for YOU.