1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by KarlV, Dec 27, 2006.

1. KarlV

KarlV LawnSite Member

I have some very bad scale (?) ona large area of this shrubery. It is a very mild December in NE Pa. Can I spray and if so, with what. Help, losing all the leaves!!!

2. teeca

teeca LawnSite Bronze Member

i use ORTHENE, works very well, however it's on the list of organofosphates, so not sure if you can still get it, lesco sells it (under the chemical name 'ACEPHATE'). this time of year, not sure of your weather, but a treatment of dorment oil will help kill any of the eggs, just don't treat if the weather is going to get into the freezing before it can dry.
  3. philk17088

philk17088 LawnSite Fanatic

In PA treat in May-June when they are in the crawler stage. Second generation hatches in July-August so you need to repeat application. You may get some control on adults with dormant sprays. Read the label on the hort oil it will tell you max and minimum temps for application.
  4. LawnTamer

LawnTamer LawnSite Gold Member

I'm not in PA, but you can apply dormant oil any time in the winter. I would apply dormant oil now, then late spring, like may, I would apply something more potent and labeled for scales. I don't know over the counter sprays very well. Are you sure it is scales? Root-weevil is much more common in the fall here. What are you seeing?
  5. KarlV

KarlV LawnSite Member

It appears to be a powdery gray substance on the branches and is easilly removed by rubiing lightly---spore disease of some sort?

6. KarlV

KarlV LawnSite Member

It is a greyish, powdery substance easilly removed from the branches by rubbing between my fingers. This isn't the cure however since it is rather extensive.

7. Timberman

Timberman LawnSite Member
    from MD

PhilK is right. Dormant oil won't really hurt it, unless it is at or below freezing. I'd wait until may/june, hit it with something like talstar or merit, just check your labels for Euonymus scale. Orthene works great, but it is dangerous to the applicator. Organophosphates are no joke. Hit it again during the second generation, in July. That should take care of it, Euonymus scale is easy to kill.
  8. Sportsturf

Sportsturf LawnSite Member

You can get some good control on scale with Sevin as well, but dormant oil is the best choice.

Be careful spraying more than 1% Oil in summer months though. You can use oils in season but reduce your rate from your standard 2-3%.

I agree, Orthene rocks. I've never used it to control scale though.
  9. Ric

Ric LawnSite Fanatic

Why not gain complete control with one application of Ultra fine oil and Merit????

Merit 75 WSP can be tank mixed with the Oil. However I find Merit 0.5 G applied around the base of the plant gives a better response.
  10. LawnTamer

LawnTamer LawnSite Gold Member

Sounds a lot like powdery mildew, which is very common in euonymus bushes. Are the bushes located in the shade? Do they get wet a lot? Are they on a north or an east face of the house where they wouldn't get afternoon sun? If so I would bet that you have powdery mildew. There are a few over the counter fungicides labeled for it, but you usually need to combine treatment with cultural controls, like increasing access to sunlight, and air, and ensuring that sprinklers are not hitting the foliage. Take a leaf sample to your local ag extension, I'd really be surprised if it is scale and not powdery mildew. I see 20 times more powdery mildew in euonymus. One other non-related warning. I have noticed that euonymus are very sensitive to soil ph, leaves tend to brown in alkaline soils.