1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

euyonomus scale

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by tomtucker, Feb 20, 2005.

1. tomtucker

tomtucker LawnSite Member

I've read various methods of combatting the euyonomus scale. Which would be the best way to begin today (2/20/05) in central Oklahoma?
  2. Williams Services

Williams Services LawnSite Senior Member

Would hort oil not work?
  3. tomtucker

tomtucker LawnSite Member

that's what I was thinking based on what I had read already. Thank you for your help.
  4. Williams Services

Williams Services LawnSite Senior Member

Happy to oblige ... Merit is labelled for scale, as well but I'd give it some time before using that.
  5. Coffeecraver

Coffeecraver LawnSite Senior Member
    from VA.

Euonomus scale should be sprayed with Volck in the dormant season.
    Contains 97% Petroleum Oil. Contains 97% Petroleum Oil
  6. kickin sum grass

kickin sum grass LawnSite Senior Member

timing is the key issue here. I would first hit it with a good hort oil this spring. Then you need to spray during the season with a product of choice when in the crawler stage. It is hard to control if ot in this stage. I have found that Once a plant is covered it seems like all you can do is knock them back to acceptable levels but seems to always have them around. You need to check periodically for activity and treat as needed.
  7. philk17088

philk17088 LawnSite Fanatic

there are two types of euonymus, those with scale and those that are going to get scale!

The hort oil is a good start, use a systemic later on in the season. Consider replacing plant, they aren't that expensive.
  8. Green Dreams

Green Dreams LawnSite Senior Member
    from Texas

Drop in some talstar with your oil spray
  9. Ric

Ric LawnSite Fanatic

I am Reading either Oil or Merit. But what I am not Reading is the complete answer to the problem. Oil and Merit together will solve the problem in one shot. Oil will knock it down and Merit will keep it down. I believe Talstar mixed with the Oil is a waste of money. Oil will kill the crawlers and the adults by itself. Talstar will offer no systemic value or real longevity to the problem. Merit will offer no knock down, but it will add systemic and longevity.
  10. upidstay

upidstay LawnSite Bronze Member
    from CT

Have had excellent results with hort oil, followed up w/ merit. Soaps do an ok job too. Empede is a good one.