Evaluate my Fert Program choices

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by DA Quality Lawn & YS, Jan 6, 2009.

1. DA Quality Lawn & YS

DA Quality Lawn & YS LawnSite Fanatic

Guys

I met with my JDL rep last week. I am planning to offer a 3 or 4 step Fert Program for this coming season (will also integrate weed control but lets keep that out of the conversation for now). For you Upper Midwest guys out there, what do you think of these ferts. All Lesco, all granular program. Exact timing of course depends on weather and soil conditions and temps.

Early May
    20-0-6 w/ .10 dimension, 20% PSCU
    Early to mid June
    24-0-11 straight with 50% PSCU
    Late August to Early Sept
    Late Oct to Early Nov
    30-0-10 with 50% PSCU

This is the 4 step. For the 3 step, I would eliminate the June fert app (or, would it be better to eliminate the early Fall app?).

Also, we discussed a 2nd app of Fert with Dimension as the June app. What do you guys think of this? Pricing for me would be pretty dead on with the straight fert app, so I guess why not if better crabgrass control is present?

Finally, this is my biggest question. What about the late fall fert? I have researched and read about differing opinions on a greater conc. of slow release N in the fall. My JDL guy said more slow release in the fall is good. I am not so sure, I have read that if the late fall app is applied late enough in the season, the N goes toward plant food storage and winter 'prep' in which case top growth wouldn't be a factor and contribute toward snow mold. What do you think?

Thanks

2. rcreech

rcreech Sponsor
    Male, from OHIO

I am in OH...but very similar to what I do here.

My only rec would be to use 30-0-10 50% atleast on round 3. I run 30-0-10 on rounds 2 and 3. I would definitly recommend going all mineral on the last app as there is no reason to use an SCU that last in the season and it should also save you some $$$$.

Typically products that contain higher amounts of N are cheaper/K and the best part is you don't have to carry and use so much product.

A lot of people get caught up on the N analysis, but I like to look at the higher N products and use less!

Other then that it looks like a very sound program!

3. americanlawn

americanlawn LawnSite Fanatic
    from midwest

We're one zone south, so we "offer" up to five app's. (up to 5 pounds of N per year for high maintenance lawns). Most here (central Iowa) offer up to six app's, and one (large National company) offers seven :confused: app's.

I know several LCO's in the Twin Cities offer five app's......not that this is good, but it brings in more revenue. Something to consider. Then there's fall aeration, grub, & mowing. I like your 4-step program. My 2 cent's worth. :usflag: p.s. How 'bout them HAWKS at the Outback Bowl!!

20-0-6 w/ .10 dimension, 20% PSCU
    Early to mid June
    Late August to Early Sept
    Late Oct to Early Nov
    30-0-10 with 50% PSCU

This is the 4 step. For the 3 step, I would eliminate the June fert app (or, would it be better to eliminate the early Fall app?).

Also, we discussed a 2nd app of Fert with Dimension as the June app. What do you guys think of this? Pricing for me would be pretty dead on with the straight fert app, so I guess why not if better crabgrass control is present?

Finally, this is my biggest question. What about the late fall fert? I have researched and read about differing opinions on a greater conc. of slow release N in the fall. My JDL guy said more slow release in the fall is good. I am not so sure, I have read that if the late fall app is applied late enough in the season, the N goes toward plant food storage and winter 'prep' in which case top growth wouldn't be a factor and contribute toward snow mold. What do you think?

Thanks[/QUOTE]

Last edited: Jan 6, 2009
  4. jkranium

jkranium LawnSite Member

Well the slow release N in the fall is a joke. You want quick release of N not slow. As for the 2 apps of dimension don't do it. It will save you money, plus too much pre-emerge can cause root pruning. There is no way you have enough crabgrass pressure to justify it. Only other thing I would suggest is using 19-0-0 with dimension instead. Should save you some cash and you are getting a fair amount of potash down with the other apps.

5. robertsturf

robertsturf LawnSite Bronze Member

Do you guy's have any insect issues? Or disease problems? Those might be possible add-on's in addition to aeration and or overseeding. I agree with the SCU in the last app, a waste of money.

6. LushGreenLawn

LushGreenLawn LawnSite Silver Member

How do you know what kind of crabgrass pressure he has in his area?

7. jkranium

jkranium LawnSite Member

I happen to know several operators in MN (one in Rochester as a matter of fact) and Wisconsin that is how I know the type of crabgrass pressure. Add to that the fact that he is north of me and I don't have that type of pressure even in the lawns with sandy soil. You on the other hand would. I know that because I also owned a fert & squirt in South Jersey and did two apps with .15 dimension and still got some breakthrough.

Last edited: Jan 6, 2009
  8. LawnTamer

LawnTamer LawnSite Gold Member

No apps till May??? Here, everyone wants to be the first one on the block with a green lawn. If I didn't hit the lawns till May, I would be able to count my clients on my hands, cuz they would have jumped ship and gone elsewhere.

If you are going to apply N in the fall, just do straight 46--, no SCU.

9. DA Quality Lawn & YS

This really is great input guys, thanks.
    Consensus so far is little to no slow release N in the fall. I can handle that.

I outlined a 4 step program BUT I may make the 5th step straight broadleaf control if I go with a 5th step. (Do any of you guys do straight herbicide apps with no fert?). For my area, I am trying to keep the number of rounds down to keep my services not only economical, but prudent for the lawns I will be working on. We are looking at 4 lbs N/yr/1K with my 4 stepper, I have no logical reason to do a 7 app deal just to make cash, I am not into that.

10. DA Quality Lawn & YS

By the way....thank goodness the Hawkeyes pulled thru for the Big Ten in the Outback...they were the only ones to win!

LawnTamer - I am not sure how I would put down 1st round in mid-April. Sometimes we still have frost in the ground at that time. I thought soil temps need to be right to apply 1st round w/ Dimension? Keep in mind this is MN.