Evaluating trucks

Discussion in '<a href=http://www.plowsite.com target=_blank ?>Sn' started by Greenman2ooo, Aug 21, 2000.

1. Greenman2ooo

Greenman2ooo Banned

I was wondering if anyone could point me to a good guide for acceptable plowing trucks? I am wondering if vehicle size, weight or payload are most important, assuming you have enough power and a proper gear ratio for pushing snow. Are there less options for say a newer Dakota as far as plows go? I've seen S-10's, Dakotas and Rangers all push snow with good success and am wondering if such a move is a poor choice? It would sure be nice if I could get by using a vehicle like this. However, my largest lot would be a few acres. Any thoughts, anecdotes or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
  2. GeoffDiamond

GeoffDiamond LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Maine

If your largest lot is a few acres, you want at least a 1 ton, any brand will work well. However you if you can afford to, you might want to get a F 550, with the new fisher V-Plow. You don't want a ranger to plow that lot, no question about it.

3. Deere John

Deere John LawnSite Senior Member

Yup - Geoff's right (again) - I just picked up my new plow truck - a HD 3/4 ton Chev diesel to swing an 8'2" Boss. This truck is big enuf for most jobs, but a couple of acres starts to look really big when you get that fast 6" of wet snow and the windrows are 3 and 1/2 feet high.

A smaller truck with a backup piece of equipment would be OK - we have a John Deere backhoe for when push comes to shove.

4. diggerman

diggerman LawnSite Senior Member
    from Iowa

I would agree that a smaller truck for a larger lot is most likely not going to have the ability to take on the extra weight needed for the heavy deep snows. I have never had any trouble with my 3/4 ton trucks handling any large snows. (then again I have never had any trouble using my 1/2 ton v6 with a 9'2" boss on it)Alot will depend on the amount of money you want to spend, the area of the country you live, how comfortable you are with repairing your own equipment,how your accounts are set up, how far apart your accounts are and so on.But trying to hit middle of the road I like 3/4 ton chevys w/an 8'2" boss,maybe even a good older one with a solid front axle. If your going to spend the big bucks I guess you can take your pick of trucks but don't go lighter than a 3/4 and do not forget a v plow!!! gotta have it
  5. plowking35

plowking35 LawnSite Bronze Member
    from S.E. CT

Options for late model compact trucks are real limited, even more so if you have an extended cab. You will have to check with a local distributor for specific applications.
  6. Alan

Alan Member

For what it's worth, I'm having good luck with S-10s behind 8' Sno-way plows. I've got an 88 and a 91. The past two years one of them has been a "spare" as we only had two plows. This year our K2500 will be pushing a Sno-Way Vee plow (just brought it home this week), so both S's will be behind a plow. I have never noticed any pushing difference between the S and the K models, at least not in practical applications. I know it should be apparent that the little ones won't push as much but I can't tell the difference. Both are 4.3 autos and run Cooper Weathermaster tires.
  7. thelawnguy

thelawnguy LawnSite Silver Member

"I have never noticed any pushing difference between the S and the K models, at least not in practical applications."

Dont think its because the S is so wonderful, as much as how lightweight the K trucks are. Maybe this is why I see Ford and Dodge with 8 foot plows and Chevy/GMC with 6-6 plastic Meyers.
  8. John DiMartino

John DiMartino LawnSite Silver Member

Im with Bill,my little S10 with a 6'6" fisher will outplow my 89GMC K2500 with a 7.5ft MMount.I use it to break trail when needed because it goes the furthest before getting stuck and its easy to pull out if it does.My Dodge Cummins will out push the GMC,even when the V-box on the GMC is full and the bed of the Dodge is empty.I dontknow how to explain it but its true.
  9. cat320

cat320 LawnSite Senior Member

I have a '97 HD 3/4 diesel chevy p/u and that think can push it has 4:10 rear end with and 8' Dimond plow ,the only ploblem is i find it hard to plow small and tight areas with it.
  10. thelawnguy

thelawnguy LawnSite Silver Member

When I was last looking at new trucks in 94, the three big things that turned me off GM trucks were small cab, need a ballfield to do a U-turn with one, and no ground clearance. I bought a Dodge, in 4wd turns tighter than even some compact trucks, roomy cab, and enough ground clearance so I dont have to worry about seesawing on 10-inch snow berm. The Ford at the time also had a small cab (well at least for a big guy like me)