Even worth a demo?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Envy Lawn Service, Feb 18, 2003.

1. Envy Lawn Service

Envy Lawn Service LawnSite Fanatic

I ran across a couple of these. One is 25 hp Kohler, the others are Kubota diesel & gas. Choice of 52" 61" or 73" decks. The single lever joystick control doesn't look promising for good control. What do you all think?

turf cruiser.jpg

2. bypass in a heartbeat

3. Husker1982

Husker1982 LawnSite Senior Member

I have ran one. It was at a small dealer that has toro/snapper and i asked if i could run it around the yard. The guy told me not to cut with it but I had to and it pissed him off something fierce. Anyway the machine was really comfortable but seemed a little shaky. Also I had not ran it long enough to get use to it. Couldn't tell you the quality of the cut but it was in bluegrass which stripes real well and there were no indications of stripes. So I really don't know how well it cuts but I will say that overall......well....Nothing runs like a Deere!

4. gogetter

gogetter Banned

I visited a Snapper dealer last year. They carry the commercial walk behind units, but not the riders. The salesman said they just don't like the riders. Didn't really go into why.

5. J&R

J&R LawnSite Senior Member

I had one about 6 years ago.stay away from them. and never look back.

6. walker-talker

walker-talker LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Midwest

Why did the dealer tell you not to engage the blades? Was it not a demo? Should a guy take the dealers word that a mower cuts well?

MATT

7. bob

bob LawnSite Platinum Member
    from DE

I tried a Country Clipper with the single joy stick. It felt real awkward. I didn't like it at all. I'd pass on this mower.

8. bruces

bruces LawnSite Senior Member

Stay away from the single joy stick.

I've seen the new models with standard dual controls.

If you want to consider Snapper, find the new model.

9. John at JDH Select

John at JDH Select LawnSite Member
    from Indy

I've cut with Snapper for 12 years. The WB's are great, as for the snapper Z's, don't walk, "RUN" away as fast as you can. It was the worst cutting Z I have ever experienced. I sold it for 50% of the purchase price with less than 200 mhr on the unit....and I felt like I was getting lucky. It had a 25 hp kohler that somehow seemed underpowered on that unit. The quality of the cut was terrible, at best. I would say it was equivelent to an eight year old boy using a weedeater from Walmart. Regardless of the perpetually sharpened blades and quality maintenance programs I keep for my equipment, it always performed at a sub-standard level. In fact, the dealer quit carrying the units and switched to Graveley. He will not stock another Z until Snapper steps up their designs and improves quality control issues regarding cuts.

I hope this helps.

John

10. Husker1982

Husker1982 LawnSite Senior Member

Matt,
    The guy didn't want me to engage the blades cause they do not demo their machines out???? Don't ask me why they just don't. I had to really bug him just to let me ride it around. I knew that I would not ever buy from there so I figured what the heck and engaged the blades. Oh well.