1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Ever been arrested???

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by SJR Lawncare, Nov 19, 2000.

1. SJR Lawncare

SJR Lawncare LawnSite Senior Member

Has anyone ever been in trouble in this biz?? I have. A couple of years ago, I was dumping leaves in a gully in my neighborhood. It was a place where everyone took their leaves for years & years. I was told by a neighbor, that the owner of the property wanted the area filled in for eventual building of houses. So, I dump my leaves, next thing I see, is 2 police cars blocking my truck. They tell me that a nearby homeowner has called 911 to report me. They say they have no choice, but to arrest me for illegal dumping. I explained that I thought it was ok, but no luck.They impounded my truck,I was hand cuffed & transported to the police station,put in a cell for 6 hours,transported to the commissioners office(Shackeled & hand cuffed), put before the commissioner, he set my bail at $1800.00, & told me I was going to the detention center if I did not pay the bail. So, I paid the bail on my credit card & was released. I got a lawyer, who charged me $500,went to court & the lawyer knew the district attorney, & they threw the case out & I was found not guilty. LESSON LEARNED: make sure you have permission to dump!!!!!!

SJR Lawncare
  2. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

I have to say, especially with Thanksgiving coming and all, that it sounds just a LEEETLE bit like Alice's Restaurant. So, Everybody - ALL together! "You can get anything you want - at Alice's Restaurant!" Happy Thanksgiving everyone! :)

[Edited by Runner on 11-19-2000 at 05:16 PM]
  3. cos

cos LawnSite Addict

Where do you live? Our fine is 300 bucks and federal dumping fine is $3,000. Sounds like they went a little too far. It seems that the neighbor was seeking vegence or something.
  4. TGCummings

TGCummings LawnSite Senior Member

I spent the night in the drunk tank about 15 years ago, but that's probably not what you're asking... :)

5. bob

bob LawnSite Platinum Member
    from DE

SJR, Whats also rotten is that now you have an arrest record. Even if your found not guilty, you have a record of an arrest. To get rid of this, you'll have to hire a lawyer and get this esponged. Of course the lawyer will have his hand out for a fee.
  6. Skookum

Skookum LawnSite Senior Member

Did officer Odie take any glossy pictures for evidence?

You should have sat there on the bench and said, "Kill, Kill, Killlllll"

Everybody now ! "Walk right in it's around the back. Justa half a mile from the railroad track"

Arlo must have been in lawn care!

Happy Thanksgiving!
  7. geogunn

geogunn LawnSite Gold Member
    from TN

SJR--wow! you must have jack booted thugs for cops where you are. LOL!

down my way, we just issue citations unless the litterbug has an attitude.

as far as illegal dumping, how were you charged if the landowner didn't prosecute? legirons and cuffs? I know we lawn care guys are a rough looking bunch but yeeesh!

I'da just made you sit on the "GROUP W BENCH" for a while and let you go. ;)

And to all, have a safe and happy Turkey Week!

8. cutntrim

cutntrim LawnSite Senior Member

Glad I don't live where you do.
  9. John DiMartino

John DiMartino LawnSite Silver Member

I havent been arrested yet-Im still on the run LOL.
  10. osc

osc LawnSite Senior Member

That is a pretty good story, don't tell that one to customers though. I went to college in Virginia where I forgot to pay a speeding ticket. A few days after the date the fine was due, 2 deputies show up at my dorm with weapons drawn. I was cuffed, face down on the floor and hauled out to the cruiser in front of 150 or so people watching, red lights flashing. I heard comments like, "I knew that guy was a drug dealer". It looked bad at a conservative, christian university, especially with the Dean of Men watching. Fingerprints and mugshot and I was back on the streets like a cheap hooker. The officer who wrote up my ticket did not show at the court hearing and the case was dismissed without me paying a cent. Socially, I was labelled a criminal because I was back in school without most of the student body having an explanation so it must have been my druglord connection that sprung me and paid off the cops, very hush hush. What the heck I just let people believe it.