ever been attacked by a dog?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by bobbygedd, Jul 21, 2003.

1. bobbygedd

bobbygedd LawnSite Fanatic
    from NJ

ill tell you right now, i fear no man! but dogs(even little ones) scare the crap out of me. customer calls for an estimate. i go over. ring bell, no one home. i need to measure for applications. i go to back fence. now, when no one is home, i usually rattle the fence, yell, make noise, and if there is a dog, he comes running and barking. so, i bang on fence, yell, etc. no dogs. great. i go in, start measuring. i have my head down, lookin at the wheel, im walkin, and i hear this sound....grrrrrrrr, i look up. its a dog, a very mean looking dog, hes showing his teeth(they are big), i show mine too, he doesnt look intimidated. i slowly walk backwards, out of the yard, all the while keeping this beast at the distance of my measuring wheel. i make it out, and close the gate. i dont know what kind of dog he was. but, he didnt seem so interested in biting me, seemed more interested in me just leaving, he walked me all the way out. anyone ever been bitten?
  2. Gr grass n Hi tides

Gr grass n Hi tides LawnSite Bronze Member

No, but there's a meaner than heck Irish Setter next door to one of my properties that can almost make it over the fence. If that dog could talk I'm sure he'd be saying "6 more inches dude and I would chew your arm off." I hate that dog.
  3. wacamaster

wacamaster LawnSite Member
    from MI

I used to mow a yard that had a couple tiny dogs that were fine when the owner was watching but when he was gone they'd come after me. I had my worker follow me with the blower to keep them away. One did latch on to my ankle one day and I did shake it off and kick it a good 5 feet. They stayed away from then on. :)
  4. rodfather

rodfather LawnSite Fanatic

Twice...by the same customer's dog one year (new customer). Told him if it happened a third time, I would either sue or put a .38 in the mongrel cause he had neighbors with little kids that I worried bout when we were there mowing. Dog was gone the next time I was there to mow.
  5. GLAN

GLAN Banned

Never had a problem with any dog

Luck or the good Lord is with me?
  6. DanG

DanG LawnSite Member

I used to do a Doctors house and he had a huge german shepard in the back yard.
    Dog would run up behind you as you were using the walk behind and grab ahold of your pant leg or shorts etc...

Never did break the skin on anyone he did it to but when he'd grab you he'd shake you like a chew toy.

Did it to my brother and to a gal i had working for me one summer.

7. ElephantNest

ElephantNest LawnSite Bronze Member
    from La.

Hopped off the ZTR, few years back, went to pick up a hose, reached for it, and a huge dalmation leapt from the patio and grabbed my hand. Punctured it in a few places, almost all the way through. Lost use of it for a few days, then gradually got some feeling back, through months of therapy. Now I'd say it's at about 75%-85% normal. Still can't touch my pinky and thumb together without a little help from the other hand. I was working for another co., foreman of the lawn crew, they tried giving me the run-around, so I had no choice but to sue. I will NOT do ANY yards without the dogs being put up, or chained. Period.
  8. captken

captken LawnSite Bronze Member

Customer wanted to show me her new golden retriever puppy. Opened gate to back yard. She goes in, the little golden retriever heads my way, tail wagging, then I heard growling, she said thats ole so and so...then that dog, a small terrier, made a fast beeline for me and bit me just below my knee cap. Bit down hard. Scraped skin. Dog let go, I kicked it. Customer mortified, at what the dog did. Me, a little concerned about my safety, but not really mad. She got the first aid kit and washed out bite with alcohol...ouch!...which by this time was bleeding. Dog had all his shots she said.
    She finished by putting on triple antibiotic salve and dressing.
    She assured me the dog had never done anything like that before, and were worried about the safety of the kid's friends and company coming by. Wondered about putting the dog down because of it. Dog is probably 9 or 10 years old.
    I told the customer to not worry over it, it was an accident.
    I think she was really wondering if I'd sue....

A friend of mine is a doctor. I finished job and saw him pronto. He re-cleaned wound with the reddish stuff they use for wounds, asked if I'd had a tetanus shot in the last 10 years, I thought I had but not sure, he gave me one anyway. And some sample packets of antibiotics, 1000 mg. Augmentin XR, a weeks worth and refused to charge me for treatment.

Doc said as long as I have a current tetanus, there is not a lot you can do for it, but take the antibiotics and keep it clean.

No problem so far. I hope nothing like that happens again...
    The hornets that stung me last year were way worse.....
  9. tiedeman

tiedeman LawnSite Fanatic
    from earth

yup, once in particular. The dog jumped the fence and went after my ankle while riding on the sulky.
  10. Turfdude

Turfdude LawnSite Bronze Member

Hey Bobby,

I thought DOGS were afraid of your bite:D