1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Ever been scared to fire someone??

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by TimTim2008, Nov 20, 2007.

1. TimTim2008

TimTim2008 LawnSite Bronze Member

Ever been scared to fire someone??

Not because they will cause you bodily harm..

But they may come back, and steal your equipment.. (or customers) ect..
    Because they know your route, storage methods, ect... (and someone told you, they've been talking about doing so, if they were ever fired).

Have you guys had someone you've fired before or laid off, come back to steal?

THEGOLDPRO LawnSite Fanatic

better lock you're **** up, lol

SNAPPER MAN LawnSite Silver Member

You shouldn't be scared to fire him because now if your equipment gets stolen you know who it was. He is stupid for letting you know that.
  4. lawnprosteveo

lawnprosteveo LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Tulsa

Just one more reason I work alone.
  5. Scagguy

Scagguy LawnSite Bronze Member

No, haven't had that problem. My guys have seen what happens to a theif when he tried to steal a weedeater off my trailer. They wouldn't dare.
  6. troblandscape

troblandscape Guest

I just fired a druggie after I suspected him of being high on the mower. He damaged three properties in 1 week and was caught in a few lies over the season. When I told him we were through he told me to watch my back:cry: I did go out and get locking gas caps for all trucks, and I did just get a letter saying I had some code violations at my yard(not sure if related). Anyway these druggies have nothing to lose, so you just have to take the first punch and then bring out the Louie Slugger.:hammerhead:
  7. landscaper22

landscaper22 LawnSite Senior Member

Yes I have. Last year, I let 2 employees go about one month apart. Then 2-3 weeks later had some stuff stolen from my truck during the night. My stupidity! I didn't have everything locked up. Let me asure you it won't happen again. After that incident, I purchased a motion sensor. You can't walk across my back yard without me knowing it now. :)
    You have to be able to prove they took it. I couldn't. And it may not have been either one of them. Believe me, I rode by both of their houses several times. I looked for any sign of my equipment.
    But really if someone wants it bad enough, and they know your routine, and where and how you store and lock it up, they can get it. Locks are just an extra step, and can easily be cut. It does stop most thieves, because they are looking for stuff they can just pick up and run with (Crimes of opportunity). Get alarms for your storage sheds. Even if they are just battery powered ones. Get a motion sensor to watch over your trucks at night. It will pay off in the long run.
    I wouldn't let that stop me from hiring. Just screen the applicants. If I don't know them I require a criminal background check. It costs me a few bucks, but it is well worth it. Of course that is no guarantee, but it helps.
  8. mowing grass 1111

mowing grass 1111 LawnSite Senior Member

the theif made A BLOODY MESS OUT OF YOU And the help could not stomach it:confused:
  9. shovelracer

shovelracer LawnSite Silver Member

Throw up some cameras even if they are fake. Then make sure he is well aware of the new security system. Then fire him. Always lock up.
  10. Mrs. H

Mrs. H LawnSite Senior Member

Yes, I have been afraid of bodily harm...I was threatened with bodily harm.

Yes, some have stolen tools and equipment.

No, none except David's ex-partner ever took customers.

And Yes, we had one guy come back after some months and steal.

Yes, you guessed it, I'm in charge of the firing around here.

I've also been called every name a woman can be called, harrassed, and ignored (until they wise up and realize, I'm also in charge of payroll.) You have to know when to call the cops sometimes and you need to keep your stuff locked as secure as possible.

I also hide in my house with the drapes pulled for a couple of days have cartoon movie marathons with my kids to calm my nerves. (Hey, I have to act tough, but I'm not, o.k. ;))

Don't let fear drag you down and dictate how you live and work. If this guy needs to go...get him gone.