1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

ever been yelled out by customer's neighbor

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by bettergrass, Nov 15, 2004.

1. bettergrass

bettergrass LawnSite Member

i was cutting yesterday with my 36 inch 15 hp wb on a corner lot in a neighborhood. i had been 10 mins into the front lot and i see one there neighbors walking toward me....hes a really Russian guy who speaks little English. well i have done some tree pruning and some mowings for them so i got kinda happy to see him walking toward me thinking he will want a fall cleanup. he comes up to me and starts to tell me that i need to pack up my stuff and go somewhere else for an hour while he trys to sleep. this is at 4 in the afternoon Sunday, apparently he works night shift so this is his sleep time. well i tell him that i cant just leave a lawn half done and i have no more houses near by to cut....he tells me that I'm stupid have no brain and no respect so i shrug my shoulders and say sorry but its 4pm. so he walks away and not mention that as he walks his other neighbor fires up his weedwacker to start cutting himself. well me being 16 call my dad and ask him what to do cause the guy seem pissed. dad says keep cutting theres no ordinance and i don't have the time because of day light savings. so i keep cutting well as I'm cutting i look behind me and i see this figure approaching me agian....i jump off and look at him...he yells at me....DO YOU HAVE NO BRAIN ARE YOU DUMB OR SOMETHING....GO TAKE A WALK AND GET OUT OF HERE FOR 30 MINS. while he is saying this he has his fist clinched like he wants to throw a punch at me. i told him very politely....sir i cant do that im sorry you have to work the nights but sundays are a big work day for me.

he finally walks away and i heard nothing more of him but for the rest of that job i had to check my back and cause me 25 more mins including the arguing.

i guess i lost this guy for some of the services i provided him.....i realize im 16 but i mean jesus was i at any wrong here....

fyi my shift keys are broke sorry for the poor typing
  2. qps

qps LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Indy

Had a old "blind lady" try to beat me down with her cane....thank god for the ROPS on my Kubota tractor or she would have nailed me good. property manager told me to call the police on her but I was to much of a man (embarassed) to do it...thought I was gonna have jump off my tractor and put the smack down on her...all because I was tearing up her yard alittle with my grader box :p
  3. sildoc

sildoc LawnSite Silver Member

Nothing new. I get more complaints from the neighbors than I do my customers. I find that if someone can not aford(sp) me or are to frugle to solicite my services that they will complain more than the actual people that you mow for.
    I have had the police called a few times for starting at 7am. The local ordinance says that you can not start till 7 so that is what I do. Most of the cops have my cell number if they get a complaint they usually call me and let me know. I make sure that I am in full accordance with local and state laws. Trust me I have a guy down the street that has nothing better to do than to give me crap. Oh well alls fair in love and WAR!
  4. Pecker

Pecker LawnSite Bronze Member

It might not hurt to notify the police of the incident so that if this guy does it again and it gets nasty, it'll already be documented that he treatened you. Also, I'd take this as a wake-up call. Since it has happened, if it happens again it is much more likely to result in violence. Watch your back and keep the something to defend yourself handy in case you have to defend your 16 year old self against a grown adult. He can hurt you alot easier than you can hurt him (hand to hand). Keep that in mind.
  5. Kelly's Landscaping

Kelly's Landscaping LawnSite Platinum Member

Don't let it get to you some people are born jerks allot of it has to do with you're age or how you look I am long since past the clinched fist crap. Get your self some sunglasses and look like you want to kill someone they tend not to bother you then LOL. I happen to be very easy going and about the only thing they can do to get my wrath is disrespect my workers or partner that is the line as far as I am concerned. I have had my own customers think they were real tuff guys chewing out my partner only to run in their homes when I got involved and I am not that big at 175 pounds. Just don’t get the habit of take too much crap from people especially if you do not work for them.

HOOLIE LawnSite Gold Member

I don't get so much neighbors yelling as I get the stupid little comments like "You're parked in front MY house" (its a public road, a-hole) and my personal favorite "You know, you're not cutting over enough. The property line is actually 4 inches farther than what you're cutting now" (would it strain them to cut those 4"?)

A lot of neighbors just don't get it. If you live in a development, you have to put up with a certain amount and level of noise, traffic, etc. They don't have the right to complete quiet and solitude.
  7. work_it

work_it LawnSite Senior Member

That is one of the reasons I won't work on residential jobs on Sunday, but I also realize a lot of you don't have that option. It just becomes a pain in the butt to deal with jerks who want to bully somebody. I don't run into that very often since I'm 6'2" and weigh 210 lbs. When somebody approaches me with a clinched fist I won't hesitate to step down off my mower with a scowl and a dead stare while telling them that I'm not in the mood to put up with their b.s. so get lost. It hasn't failed me so far. Just remember that diplomacy will usually difuse a situation, but there will come a time you'll have to scare the crap out of someone. :mad:
  8. HighGrass

HighGrass LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Z5 MA

I sounds like you didn't everything you could do. The only think I might have done to drive home the point was ask him if he minded paying a fee for you leaving to cover yourtime, truckingand everything and then telling him that in the future you'll make a note if he needs to sleep.

People that work 2nd and 3rd shift HAVE to expect that this kind of thing...don't they? I mean my god, the world can't come to a freakin stop because they sleep during the day.
  9. daycab

daycab LawnSite Member

Hey moefb,
    I too work nights. However, it's not your fault that I work bizare hours. I would recommend that your Russian customer wear ear plugs while trying to sleep during the day. I do, and they work great.
  10. puppypaws

puppypaws LawnSite Fanatic

It takes all kinds of people to make the world go round , I personally beleive it would run a lot smoother with a few less idiots. You need to always make sure to report the problems you have with people to the police so it will be documented. The problem with living in our day and time is that you never know who may just walk back out the door and shoot you for absolutely no reason because they think as far as they are concerned bad days only happen to them.