1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Ever break all your mowers in one day??

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by 81Bronk36, Jul 21, 2008.

1. 81Bronk36

81Bronk36 LawnSite Member

I did today. Actually it was in 2 hours I broke both pull start cords on both of my mowers. The luck. I hope its not the new magnetic signs on my truck... the day I ordered them I lost one of my best customers, I get them on and this happens:hammerhead: I can't handle much more drama:dizzy:
  2. jiggz

jiggz LawnSite Senior Member
    from jerz

lol no but i have had about 5 trimmers all die the same week.. give it a couple days youll laugh about it.. why did you lose a coutsomer though??.. i HATE when that happens especially when its over a stupid reason
  3. mag360

mag360 LawnSite Silver Member

4. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

I've had my two break down a total of three times in two days before,
    each breakdown entitled me to another trip home, does that count?

I had to go home, either to get the part that I needed to fix it or to
    just grab the other mower, it was broke down that good.

Not sure what all it was anymore, I recall the T-bar itself was one thing,
    the belt tensioning pulley adjustment eyebolt was another...

The best part thou, with the exception of that eyebolt I didn't have,
    one mower did end up sitting for a week (or three) but despite the
    hassle I still got 16 lawns mowed in them two days :p

Eh yeah, I keep a spare T-bar for parts :p
    Wouldn't be the first time that POS broke.
    The eyebolt threw me off, that was a first for me in seven years,
    but besides the one I replaced I have a spare of that now too lol
  5. MisfitBobletts

MisfitBobletts LawnSite Member

I have 2 Walker mowers, my employee took one out comes back a few mins later with a stripped gear box...so he takes the other one while i work on it, comes back about 10 mins later with another stripped gear box....ended up having to swap a gearbox from one to another just so i could have at least one mower running. They are old mowers so i run into these kinda probs all the time.
  6. MJS

MJS LawnSite Bronze Member

And, huh?

Well, I've had two 21"s break down in a week before, but that's just a little bit more bearable - the first one was the transmission, the second one was the carburetor.
  7. mowerman87

mowerman87 LawnSite Member

The first day I ever had a crew running without me, I wanted to feel like a bigshot in the lawncare rat race, but two 21's broke down in the same morning- I wound up having to drop off another mower at their location and I was left with only a toro 37" to finish my resi's that day. no beginners luck for me
  8. DT Lawn Care

DT Lawn Care LawnSite Senior Member

on one day a week, we use just 21"s. last year, we had all 4 of our 21"s on the trailer break down in a matter of hours... that sucks man
  9. 81Bronk36

81Bronk36 LawnSite Member

Well after hearing some of these stories I don't feel quite as bad. I lost the customer because his son now works for a landscaper and he is mowing the lawn from then on.