Ever build a ship in a bottle?

Discussion in 'Irrigation' started by WalkGood, Jul 15, 2007.

1. WalkGood

WalkGood LawnSite Bronze Member

Service call here for a leaking busted zone valve. Learned it froze over winter along with the copper feed thru the unheated garage (fixed by owner's son); not winterized in time. They waited til now, mid summer, to get the irrigation fixed.

No room to twist off the zone valve. I think this former-home-owner built manifold was made by a ship-in-a-bottle hobbyist. The feed for the glued manifold and all the zone lines go thru holes bored in the sides of the deep valve box.

I didn't catch it right away tho, and after digging all around the box I couldn't pull it out. Then I realized after seeing all zone lines and the feed moving with the box, I noticed the lines go thru the box walls, not "under".

My pruning cutters snipped off the 3/4" polly lines and I disconnected the PVC union on the feed. I also "opened up" the valvebox side openings for more access.

You can see the too-long corkscrew hose clamps and wacky approach angles of the old poly zone lines. Some of the connections did not have a clamp at all. Not visible in the pictures but there are bushes and their roots all around the valve box area. Nothin like gettin poked in the face and ears with branches while working.

It ain't pretty, but there's the new manifold and zonevalves connected up to the zone lines.

Cramped 01.jpg

Cramped 02.jpg

Cramped 03.jpg

Cramped 04.jpg

Cramped 05.jpg
  2. WalkGood

WalkGood LawnSite Bronze Member

Here's a second manifold, same house. Besides being ugly the only problem was a corroded electrical connection (no wire nut). The "craftsman" must have used 3 pounds of solder to make this.

Dig the hose bibb thru the fence post.

Cu Mannifold.jpg

Cu Mannifold 2.jpg
  3. Wet_Boots

Wet_Boots LawnSite Fanatic

ASVs in a valve box? Ain't that nice.
  4. hoskm01

hoskm01 LawnSite Fanatic

Scary, we see it too often here. To most fools its just another valve.
  5. PurpHaze

PurpHaze LawnSite Fanatic

Obviously the ASVs aren't high enough. I've seen this same "trick" with brass ASVs installed by plumbers.
  6. Uh walkgood what did you do for backflow protection after taking out those asvs and replacing them with those Hunters?
  7. PurpHaze

I was thinking along liability lines also.
  8. It seems if I recall correctly that Boots and Walkgood got into a back and forth over this and walkgood said there were no bf requirements where he works.
  9. PurpHaze

Then why were ASVs installed in the first place when simple ball valves or gate valves would of done the trick? :)
  10. I don't know Purp. I just don't knowwwww...........:cry: